Topics Map > UWGB Help Desk > Windows OS
Wireless configuration for Windows Vista (alternative method)
This document discusses the wireless configuration for Windows Vista (alternative method)
Use the following setup if you've already tried the normal steps to setup Wireless for Vista without success: Wireless configuration for Windows Vista
- Open the Network and Sharing Center by going to Start → Control Panel →Internet →Network and Sharing Center.
- Select Set up a connection or network on the left hand side of the window.
- Select Manually connect to a wireless network, then click the Next button.
- Enter or select the following:
- Network name: UWGB Wireless
- Encryption type: AES
- Uncheck the Start this connection automatically
- Click the Next button
- Click the Change connection settings link.
- On the "Wireless Network properties" window, verify that 'Connect automatically when the network is in range' is not checked; then click the Security tab.
- On the Security tab, select these settings:
- Encryption type: AES
- Choose a network authentication method: Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP)
- Uncheck Cache user information for subsequent connections to this network
- Click the Settings button.
- On the "Protected EAP Properties" window, select these settings:
Validate server certificateis checked
- Trusted Root Certification Authorities: GeoTrust Global CA
- Do not prompt user to authorize new servers or trusted certification authorities
- Select Authentication Method: Secured Password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)
- Click the Configure...
- Uncheck Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any).
- Click the OK button on all open "Wireless Network Properties" windows.
- Click the Connect to...
- In the "Connect to a network" window, select UWGB Wireless and then click the Connect button.
- Click Enter/select additional log on information.
- Enter your account username and password. Leave the Logon domain field blank. Click the OK button.
- You may be prompted to re-enter your username (email@example.com) and password. When you have successfully connected to the network, you'll see a "Successfully connected to UWGB Wireless" message. Click the Close button.
- Now that you have a working UWGB Wireless connection, you'll need to modify a couple of settings so that you can automatically connect to this network. In the Network and Sharing Center, click Manage Wireless Networks under Tasks.
- Right-click on UWGB Wireless and then left-click on Properties.
- Check the Connect automatically when this network is in range and Connect to a more preferred network if available checkboxes.
- Click the Security tab.
- Check the Cache user information for subsequent connections to this network checkbox and then click the OK button.
NOTE: You may be prompted to re-enter your username (firstname.lastname@example.org) and password.