Topics Map > UWGB Help Desk
Topics Map > Library
Topics Map > Instructional Technology
Adjusting Course Start Date and End Date in D2L
Adjusting the course start date or end date in D2L is something an instructor can do if they need students to see course material earlier than the current "default" start date for the semester, or conversely, they'd like to restrict the access date, by adjusting the end date to an earlier day, or time.
This article shows Instructors how to adjust the start-date, and end-date of their course in D2L.
Some instances where this has been useful:
- You don't want students to access materials until the time of your course (i.e. your first meeting time is on Monday at 8:00 AM, but the course shell is currently set to open on Monday at 12:00 AM). This is usually the convention for the first day of course access--students can access the course shell on the day of, at 12:00 AM.
- Some instructors ask students to prepare early, and need them to view a reading before the first day of classes.
- Historically, a Preview Week has also been something only a few instructors participate in--but this process is voluntary, and can confuse some students (i.e. some courses open earlier than others).
Step 1: Log into D2L
Step 2: click on the course link for the course you'd like to adjust the access date.
Step 3: Click the "Edit Course" link in the navigation bar.
Step 4: Click on the "Course Information" Tool
Step 5: Adjust the dates or times for which you'd like students to access your course
- If you adjust the course start date or end date, this restricts access for everyone listed as the "student" role.
- Those enrolled in a course with TA access are able to bypass the start date restriction (allows early access), but not the end date restriction.