Attendance Tool in D2L
This article will cover how to set up an attendance register, a scheme, and how to add the attendance tool to a course navigation bar.
To set up an attendance register you'll first want to decide how you want to set up your sessions.
- Are you monitoring per week attendance, or per class meeting period.
- Are you taking into account engagement, as well as student presence?
- For example: if a student is present, but does not contribute to class discussion, are you going to assign different values had she participated?
- You also might want to consider whether or not you'd like students to view the attendance tool within the course navigation bar.
- If you would like them to see this tool, you'll need to add "Attendance" to the course navigation bar.
- Here's how to add a tool to your navigation bar.
Setting up Attendance Schemes:
Step 1: Log into D2L
Step 2: Access the course you'd like to enable the tool within
Step 3: Click on "Edit Course" in the Nav Bar
Step 4: Click on "Attendance" under Learner Management
Step 5: Click on "Attendance Schemes"
Step 6: Click "New Scheme"
Step 7: Set the scheme info
Step 8: After you click "Save," then click "Close"
Setting up Attendance Registers
Step 9: Select "Attendance Registers" and click "Add New"
Step 10: Set the register info
- Note: The "Cause for concern" text entry, can be used to let the TA/Instructor know the percent at which a student is a "cause for concern." This should be a percent. It will display this icon to only those who can enter attendance data:
Step 11: Set up the number of sessions. The default is 3; and you must first enter data into these fields before you can add more sessions:
Step 12: Add more sessions by entering a number into the text field, then click "Add Sessions"
Step 13: Populate the rest of the sessions, and click "Save" when you're finished.
Setting Attendance Data/ Entering Attendance Data
Step 14: Log into D2L
Step 15: Access the course you'd like to enable the tool within
Step 16: Click on "Edit Course" in the Nav Bar
Step 17: Click on "Attendance" under Learner Management
Step 18: Either click on the register name, or use the small arrow to the right, and choose to "View Attendance Data"
Step 19: Choose the session, and click the pencil/table icon:
Step 20: From here a TA/Instructor can "Set Status for All Users", to Present/P, then tick those who were Present and participated/P+, then tick those that were Absent/A:
Step 21: When you're finished assigning statuses, click "Save."
At the end of the semester:
Step 22: When the semester is finished, and you want to average the attendance data log into D2L
Step 23: Access the course you'd like to enable the tool within
Step 24: Click on "Edit Course" in the Nav Bar
Step 25: Click on "Attendance" under Learner Management
Step 26: Either click on the register name, or use the small arrow to the right, and choose to "View Attendance Data"
Step 27: Click "Export All Data"
- Note: this will generate a zip file within a small pop up window.
- Click on the link. It will download the file, which you can open in Excel.
- The second to last column will reflect "% Attendance"
The attendance tool is not something that can connect to a grade item, hence the need to export the data at the end of the semester.