This document explains the difference between a listserv and a distribution list.
Information Technology provides user groups and organizations the ability to have campus-wide Distribution groups and Google Groups to facilitate mass communications.
Distribution Groups are for lists that will be used only by UWGB faculty, staff, and students. A Distribution Group is essentially an email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) that is used to post messages large numbers of campus email address. Distribution Group delivery is almost instantaneous to campus email addresses and membership can even be fully automated via data available within SIS. These groups by default are available in the Address Book for easy access, but can unpublished if so desired. Max message sizes are customizable per group. Depending on the needs, also consider Microsoft Teams as it does offer modern workflow for some use cases.
Google Groups offers up a more traditional a listserv is similar to a distribution list, with a few notable exceptions.
1) Members can include external email addresses
2) Mailings are sent one by one to recipients so large groups may take an hour or longer to reach all recipients.
3) Google Groups cannot be automated based upon SIS data.
4) The email address will not appear in the address book.
5) The email address will follow the format email@example.com
6) Maximum message size is a fixed 25MB.
Distribution Groups and Google Groups message posting can be set up as open, closed, or restricted.
• Open: Allows anyone to post to the list, including those who are not subscribed for Distribution Groups. All members for Google Groups.
• Closed: Only admins of the list may post to the list.
• Restricted: Only designated individuals on the list may post to the list.
The Google Groups interface is available at (http://groups.uwgb.edu), for Group Managers to manager their respective Groups.
If you are looking to request a new Distribution Group or Google Group, please contact the IT Help Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org) or (920)465-2309 for assistance.