Microsoft Teams - User Guide
The following is a general guide to the features available to you through Teams.
To start a chat
1. Enter your full UWGB email address into the field.
2. Validate with Duo.
To start a one-on-one chat:
Once you've selected New chat (at the top of your chat list) and entered the person’s name, compose your message in the box at the bottom of the chat. To open your formatting options, select Format beneath the box where you type your message. When you're ready, select Send . This starts the chat.
To start and name a group chat:
Start one the same way you start a one-on-one chat: select New chat at the top of your chat list. Select the down arrow to the far right of the To field and type a name for the chat in the Group name field. Then, type the names of the people you’d like to add in the To field.
This starts a new conversation. Everyone who has access to the group chat can send messages. You can include up to 100 people in a group chat.
To add more people into the conversation, just click Add people (or View and add participants in a group chat) in the top right corner of Teams. Then, type the names of the people you'd like to chat with, select how much of the chat history to include, and click Add.
To start a meeting, do one of the following:
1. Select in a new conversation. 2. Select in an existing conversation to keep all that conversation’s context.
Then, in your video preview, enter a name for the meeting and select Meet now.
Select the names of the team members you want to invite to the meeting. You can also type a phone number for those outside your organization.
To join from your calendar:
1.Select Calendar on the left side of the app to see your meetings. Find the meeting you want, and then select Join.
2. Teams will open a page where you can preview your video and configure audio and video settings. When you are ready to enter the meeting, click the Join now button in the video preview window.
Note: If someone else starts the meeting, you'll get a notification you can use to join.
To join from a chat:
If the meeting has already begun, it appears in your recent chat list. Select the meeting in your chat list and then select Join at the top of the chat.
Schedule a meeting:
For more information on scheduling meetings, visit the following page: Microsoft Teams - Scheduling a Teams Meeting
There are two ways to schedule a meeting within Teams:
1. Select Schedule a meeting in a chat (below the box where you type a new message) to book a meeting with the people in the chat.
2. Go to Calendar on the left side of the app and select New meeting in the top right corner. Select a range of time in the calendar. A scheduling form will pop open.
Once you're done filling out the details, select Save. This will close the scheduling form and send an invite to everyone's Outlook inbox.
Invite people outside your organization
Teams lets you invite people outside your organization, including those who don't have a Teams license. You'll need their full email address to invite them.
1. Go to where it says Add required attendees. If anyone is an optional attendee, select Optional instead.
2. Type the person's full email address.
3. Select Invite. They'll receive an email with a link to the meeting.
Make video and audio calls:
1. Go to your chat list, and click New chat to start a new conversation.
2. Type the name or names into the To field at the top of your new chat.
3. Then click Video call or Audio call to start a call.
Note: Up to 20 people can be on the same video call.
There are multiple ways to access and manage notifications. To further customize your notification settings, select your profile picture at the top, right corner of Teams, then select Settings > Notifications. From there you can fine-tune what notifications you receive and where those notifications show up.
In Activity on the left side of Teams, select More options on a notification. From the menu, you can mark a notification as read or unread. You can also turn on or off notifications for a specific channel if you want.
Stop email notifications
Now you can set the type of notifications you want for each type of activity on Teams. If you don't want any emails, make sure all activity types are set otherwise.
Click on your profile picture in the top right of the app, then select Settings > Notifications.
Keep notifications in the app
Select Only show in feed. This means all notifications will be sent to your activity feed, which you can find at the top left corner of Teams.
The app will still show notifications on your desktop taskbar, but no pop-up will show.
Get notified in app and on desktop
Select Banner and feed and you’ll receive notifications as both a desktop notification and as an alert in your activity feed.
How to get all notifications for all activity
Once you’ve got all your channels where you want them, you’ll start receiving notifications in Activity. If you’d also like to get these notifications on your desktop, select Settings > Notifications > and select Edit under Shown channels and select Banner and feed.