Topics Map > GBIT Service Desk Services > Remote Support > Video Conferencing
Topics Map > GBIT Service Desk Services > Communication > Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams - Joining a Teams Meeting on the Web
How to join a Microsoft Teams meeting on your internet browser without downloading the Teams application. Teams Meetings are online meetings complete with audio, video, text chat, application and screen sharing, and more. Includes a video guide and text instructions.
Microsoft Teams - User Guide
Microsoft Teams - Joining a Teams Meeting With the Teams Desktop Application
Microsoft Teams - Teams Meeting Controls
Microsoft Teams - Scheduling a Teams Meeting
This guide details the procedure for joining a Microsoft Teams Meeting on the web. Joining a teams meeting on the web can be done with the Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome web browsers and does not require a software download. Joining on the web is useful if you do not have the Microsoft Teams application installed on the computer you are using or if you are a guest who was invited to a meeting hosted by someone at UW-Green Bay. If you do have Microsoft Teams installed on your computer, the easiest way to join a Teams meeting is from within the application. Please see Microsoft Teams - Joining a Teams Meeting With the Teams Desktop Application.
Microsoft Teams Meetings can be joined on the web by clicking a meeting link in an email invitation or event in your Outlook calendar. Use the following procedure to join a Teams meeting on the web with a meeting link:
Locate the meeting invitation message in your email inbox and open the message. If you accepted the meeting invitation and RSVP’d in Outlook, you can open the meeting event in Outlook’s calendar instead. To access the calendar in outlook, press the Calendar button in the lower-left corner of Outlook. Double-click the meeting event in your calendar to open it and view the invitation message.
Look for the Click here to join the meeting link within the body of the email message or calendar event and click it.
A Teams Join conversation web page will open in your default web browser. What happens next will vary depending on your browser and whether or not Microsoft Teams is installed on your computer:
- If you have the Microsoft Teams application installed on your computer, the Teams application may open automatically or your browser may open a prompt asking if you would like to open Microsoft Teams. Confirm and click Open to join the meeting with the Microsoft Teams application. (If you do not wish to join the meeting within the Teams app and would rather join on the web, dismiss the prompt by clicking Cancel instead).
- If you do not have the Microsoft Teams application installed on your computer, you can join on the web without installing the application. This option will appear differently depending on your browser:
- If you are using Microsoft Edge, you can join the meeting by clicking the Join on the web instead button. Look for a “Let teams.microsoft.com use your webcam and microphone?” prompt at the bottom of the browser window and click Yes.
- If you are using Google Chrome, you can join the meeting by clicking on the Join on the web instead button. Under Chrome’s address bar, look for a “teams.microsoft.com wants to” use your microphone and use your camera prompt and click Allow.
- NOTE: This Join conversation page takes on a different appearance if you are currently logged into your UWGB Office 365 account on Edge or Chrome. In this case, click the Continue on this browser button to join the meeting on the web.
- If you are using a web browser that is not supported by Teams, you will see a message in the web page that “Your browser does not support Teams meetings.” Click the Join in Microsoft Edge button to open the meeting in the Edge browser. Your browser may open a prompt asking you to confirm that you want to open Microsoft Edge. Confirm and choose Open link if prompted.
Once you have selected the method of entry and given the website permission to use your camera and microphone, you will be taken to a page where you can configure your audio and video settings and preview your video before joining the meeting. Type your name in the “Enter name” field located inside of the video preview window.
To enter the meeting, click the Join now button located inside of the video preview window. Before joining you may optionally configure the following settings:
- Press the slider buttons in the bottom of the video preview to set whether you will enter the meeting with your camera on or off and your microphone on or muted.
- Press the Settings cog button in the bottom-right of the video preview to open up a Device settings panel where you can select which audio and video devices to use in the meeting. Use the drop-down menus under Speaker, Microphone, and Camera to select the devices you want to use.
- The buttons under “Other join options” should be ignored in almost all instances of Teams Meetings at UWGB. Please note that the Phone audio feature is not supported with UWGB’s Teams service and will be grayed out.
Depending on how the meeting settings are configured, you may see a “Someone in the meeting should let you in soon” message. The meeting organizer will be notified that you are waiting in the lobby and will be given the option to admit you.
Once you have entered the meeting, you can use buttons in the Meeting controls panel in the bottom middle of the meeting window to turn on/off your microphone and camera, share your screen, open the conversation (text chat), and access other meeting features. Please see Microsoft Teams - Teams Meeting Controls for more information.
NOTE: Screen sharing is currently only supported in Google Chrome and the Microsoft Teams desktop application.