Topics Map > Instructional Resources > Canvas
Canvas - Inserting Content from an External Tool with the Rich Content Editor
This document details how to insert content from an external source by using the Rich Content Editor in Canvas.
Kaltura - Inserting a Video in Canvas with the Rich Content Editor
PlayPosit (Canvas) - Create a Graded Interactive Video Assignment
***NOTE: Content from some external (third party) tools that support Canvas integration can be linked or embedded in Canvas pages, assignments, discussions, quizzes, and announcements with the Rich Content Editor. These tools include Canvas Commons, Films on Demand, Microsoft Teams Meetings, Kaltura/My Media, Office 365, TedEd, Vimeo, and YouTube. Kaltura/My Media and Office 365 have dedicated buttons in the toolbar, while the rest can be accessed through the Apps button. Some tools only have the option for content to appear as a link, whereas others can be embedded.***
***NOTE: For PlayPosit, this method is only for ungraded activities. For graded activities, please use Canvas assignments and the external tool submission type.***
1. Navigate to an editable Canvas page, discussion, etc. and select the "Edit" button with the pencil icon (or "Reply" for discussion posts) to open the Rich Content Editor.
2. In the Rich Content Editor, select the "Apps" button (it appears as a plug icon) in the toolbar. If you can't see the Apps button, select the "More" button (will appear as three stacked dots) to see all tools.
3. Select "View All."
4. A window will open with a list of the external tools that support Canvas integration with the Rich Content Editor. Select the name of the tool you wish to use. You may have to slide one or both scroll bars on the right side to reveal all tools.
5. A menu for your selected tool will open. Navigate to the content you wish to add and follow the on-screen instructions to link or embed the content.
6. Once you have successfully added the content, the Apps menu window will close and your content should appear in the Rich Content Editor. Select "Save" (or "Post Reply" for discussion posts) to save your work.