Topics Map > Instructional Resources > Canvas
Canvas - Inserting Content from an External Tool with the New Rich Content Editor
Some content from Canvas Commons, Films on Demand, Microsoft Teams, Kaltura/My Media, Office 365, TedEd, Vimeo, VoiceThread and YouTube can be linked or embedded in Canvas using the Apps button in the menu bar or toolbar of the New Rich Content Editor.
Content from some external (third party) tools that support Canvas integration can be linked or embedded in Canvas pages, assignments, discussions, quizzes, and announcements with the New Rich Content Editor. These tools include Canvas Commons, Films on Demand, Microsoft Teams Meetings, Kaltura/My Media, Office 365, TedEd, Vimeo, VoiceThread and YouTube. Kaltura/My Media and Office 365 have dedicated buttons in the toolbar, while the rest can be accessed through the Apps button. Note that some tools only have the option for content to appear as a link, rather than embedded media.
1. Go to an editable Canvas page, discussion, etc. and click the Edit button with the pencil icon (or Reply for discussion posts) to open the New Rich Content Editor.
2. In the New Rich Content Editor, click the Apps button (plug icon) in the toolbar. If you can't see the Apps button, click the More button (three stacked dots) to see all tools.
3. Click View All.
4. A window will open with a list of the external tools that support Canvas integration with the New Rich Content Editor. Click the name of the tool you wish to use. You may have to slide one or both scroll bars on the right side to reveal all tools.
5. A menu for your selected tool will open. Navigate to the content you wish to add and follow the on-screen instructions to link or embed the content.
6. Once you have successfully added the content, the Apps menu window will close and your content should appear in the New Rich Content Editor. Click Save (or Post Reply for discussion posts) to save your work.