Topics Map > Instructional Resources > Canvas
VoiceThread - Using the Assignment Builder in Canvas
The VoiceThread Assignment Builder lets you create graded VoiceThread assignments in Canvas. Activities created in this way function as an assignment in Canvas and sync with the Canvas gradebook.
Here is how to set up a VoiceThread assignment with the Assignment Builder.
1. In your Canvas course, click on the Assignments link in the left-side course navigation menu.
2. Click the + Assignment button in the top-right corner.
3. Give your VoiceThread assignment a name and description in the appropriate fields.
4. Scroll down to “Submission Type” and click the dropdown menu.
5. Select External Tool from the dropdown menu.
6. Click the Find button.
7. A window will open with a list of external tools. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and click VoiceThread. You may have to drag one or both of the scroll bars on the right side to see all options.
8. The VoiceThread Setup menu will open in a pop-up window. Select the Assignment Builder button.
9. The new VoiceThread assignment builder will launch. In the Choose activity step, select one of the three assignment types then click the yellow Continue button in the bottom-left corner:
a. Create. Students are required to create and submit their own VoiceThread project.
b. Comment. Students are required to submit one or more comments on an instructor's VoiceThread. You may also use this option if you would like students to add slides to a VoiceThread you’ve created.
c. Watch. Students are required to watch or listen to a VoiceThread in its entirety.
IMPORTANT: During assignment setup, there is a known issue on certain browsers with the “open in full size tab” link in the top-right corner of the VoiceThread Assignment Builder. To avoid this bug, do not click this link while building your assignment. We recommend that you build your VoiceThread assignment within the Canvas pop-up window. You can reposition this pop-up window and make it larger by clicking and dragging the bottom-right corner of the window.
10. For “Create” assignments, skip to step 11. For “Comment” or “Watch” assignments, in the Choose content step, either create a new project by clicking the Create a new VoiceThread button and then following the usual steps for creating a VoiceThread project, or select a VoiceThread you’ve already created and then click the yellow Continue button.
11. In the Choose options step, set the desired settings for your VoiceThread assignment by ticking or unticking the blue checkboxes, then click the yellow Continue button.
12. In the Finalize step, give your VoiceThread a name, description, and submission message by filling in the appropriate boxes. Add start dates and due dates, if desired, and set the assignment submission and assessment settings.
IMPORTANT: Start dates or due dates set within the VoiceThread assignment builder will not automatically be applied to the assignment settings in Canvas. Leave these boxes blank if you’d like to manage the open/due/close dates in Canvas. Unlike due dates in Canvas, a due date set within the VoiceThread assignment is a hard cut-off date for submissions; students will not be able to make late submissions after the VoiceThread assignment due date.
13. Click the yellow Publish button. Note that this does not publish the assignment in Canvas.
14. The VoiceThread setup menu will close and you will be returned to the external tool window in Canvas. Click the green Select button in the bottom-right corner.
15. Scroll down and fill in any additional assignment settings in Canvas, such as the point value and due date.
16. In the bottom-right corner, click either the Save button to save your work and return later or Save & Publish if you are ready for the assignment to be published.