Topics Map > Instructional Resources > Canvas
Canvas - Modules Guide for Instructors
A Module is an organizational "container" that can be used to present course content items (pages, files, assignments, discussions, etc.) in the context of a course week or unit. Placing course content in modules helps students by presenting content in a logical, linear flow that is easy to find. Course modules appear on the home page of UWGB Canvas courses and can also be viewed on the course Modules Index page. Modules can be configured to restrict students from accessing content until a specific date or until the student has completed the requirements of a prerequisite module.
Video Source (Canvas Video Guides)
What are modules? (Canvas Basics Guide)
Selected How-to Resources (Canvas Instructor Guides)
TIP: Since the course home page for UWGB Canvas courses is made up of the course's modules, most of the tasks in the following guides can be completed from the course home page in addition to the Modules Index page.
- How do I use the Modules Index Page?
- How do I add a module?
- How do I publish or unpublish a module?
- How do I edit a module?
Adding Content to Modules
- How do I add course content as module items?
- How do I add a quiz as a module item?
- How do I add an external tool as a module item?
- How do I add an external URL as a module item?
- How do I add a text header as a module item?
- How do I edit module items?
- How do I move or reorder a module?
- How do I delete a module?
- How do I move or reorder a module item?
- How do I remove module items?
Controlling Student Access to Modules
- How do I add prerequisites to a module?
- How do I add requirements to a module?
- How do I use modules to view the progress of students in a course?
- How do I lock a module until a given date?
Canvas support is available 24 hours a day! Access Canvas support options by clicking the Help button in the Global Navigation Menu located along the left-edge of any page in Canvas. The Help menu contains options for contacting Canvas support via live chat, phone, and email. For more information on contacting Canvas support, please see Canvas - Contacting 24/7 Canvas Support .