Topics Map > Instructional Resources > Canvas
Canvas - Creating Groups
Instructors can use Canvas Groups to split a class's students into smaller groups for discussions and assignments. Groups are created in group sets, which can be selected while creating group assignments and group discussions. Students can be assigned to groups automatically, manually, or via self-sign up. Each group gets its own group home page where students can work together with Pages, Discussions, Files, and Collaborations. This article is a collection of technical guides intended to help instructors use Groups in their Canvas courses.
Video Source (Canvas Video Guide)
What are Groups? (Canvas Basics Guide)
Selected How-to Resources (Canvas Instructor Guides)
Creating Group Sets and Groups
- How do I view all groups in a course?
- How do I add a group set in a course?
- How do I automatically create groups in a group set?
- How do I manually create groups in a group set?
Assigning Students to Groups
- How do I automatically assign students to groups?
- How do I manually assign students to groups?
- How do I move a student into a different group?
- How do I assign a student leader to a group?
Using Self Sign-Up Groups
- How do I create self sign-up groups in a group set?
- How do students join self sign-up groups? (Canvas Student Guide)
- How do I message students who have not signed up for a self sign-up group?
- How do I prevent students from switching groups in self sign-up groups?
Assigning Group Work
- How do I create a group discussion in a course?
- How do I create and assign a graded group discussion?
- How do I create and assign a group assignment? NOTE: In group assignments, each group makes one joint submission to the assignment.
- How do I view content and student activity within a group?
Canvas support is available 24 hours a day! Access Canvas support options by clicking the Help button in the Global Navigation Menu located along the left-edge of any page in Canvas. The Help menu contains options for contacting Canvas support via live chat, phone, and email. For more information on contacting Canvas support, please see Canvas - Contacting 24/7 Canvas Support.