Topics Map > Instructional Resources > Kaltura/My Media
Kaltura - Creating an Audio File from a Video in Your My Media Library
***NOTE: To create an audio file from a video in your Kaltura My Media library, you must first download the video to your computer. Then, use VLC Media Player or QuickTime to create an audio file from the downloaded video file.***
Downloading Your Video from My Media
Perform these steps to download your video from My Media in Canvas:
1. Log in to Canvas from the UWGB Canvas Login website.
2. Select "Account > My Media" in the Canvas Global Navigation menu to open your My Media library.
3. Select the title of the video you wish to download to open that video's media page.
4. In the top-right corner of the video player, select the download icon.
For a complete guide to downloading a My Media video, please see: Kaltura (Canvas) - Downloading a Video from Your My Media Library
Creating an Audio File from the Downloaded Video
Option 1: Use VLC Media Player (Windows PC or Mac)
If VLC Media Player is not already installed on your computer, you can install it from the Software Center (Windows) or Self Service (Mac) applications on UWGB-owned computers. On a personal computer, VLC Media Player can be downloaded for free from the official VideoLAN website. To create an audio file from a video using VLC, perform the following steps:
1. Open VLC Media Player.
2. Select "Media > Convert/Save..."
3. In the File tab of the Open Media menu that opens, select the "+ Add..." button.
4. Navigate to the location of the video file on your computer, select the file, then select "Open."
5. Select "Convert/Save."
6. Under Settings in the Convert menu, make sure Convert is selected, then select "Audio – MP3" in the Profile drop-down menu.
7. Next to Destination file, select "Browse."
8. Navigate to the directory where you would like to save the audio file. In the "File name" field, enter a name for your audio file that ends with ".mp3" (without the quotation marks), then select "Save."
9. Select "Start."
10. VLC will convert the video into an audio file. Progress is shown by a blue bar near the bottom of the window. When the process is complete, the audio file is ready and saved to the destination selected in steps 7-8.
Option 2: Use QuickTime (Mac Only)
QuickTime comes pre-installed on Mac computers running OSX. To create an audio file from a video using QuickTime, perform the following steps:
1. Open QuickTime Player from the Launchpad or your Applications folder.
2. A Finder window will automatically open. In the Finder window, navigate to the location of the video file on your computer, select the file, then select "Open."
3. Select "File > Export As > Audio Only."
4. Another Finder window will open. Navigate to the folder/directory where you would like to save the audio file. In the Export As field, enter a name for your audio file, then select "Save."
5. QuickTime will export an audio file from the video and save it to the chosen destination in .m4a format.