Topics Map > GBIT Service Desk Services > Accounts
Topics Map > GBIT Service Desk Services > Mac
Topics Map > GBIT Service Desk Services > Windows OS
Topics Map > GBIT Service Desk Services > Password Reset
How to Change Your Password on Your Device (Faculty\Staff Only)
This document details how to change your campus password on your UW-Green Bay Windows 10 PC (desktop or laptop), UW-Green Bay macOS device (iMac or MacBook), or a personal device.
***NOTE: If you are on a laptop, make sure you are connected to the VPN (VPN - User Guide). If you are on campus, be sure you are connected to a UW-Green Bay network.***
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete
- Select "Change a Password."
- Create a new password that follows the requirements. For the list of requirements, navigate to the following page: https://www.uwgb.edu/information-technology/password-reset/
To know if you are connected to the VPN, look for the globe on your taskbar. Select the globe and note whether it says Connected. If not, you are not connected to VPN.
***NOTE: This method is only valid for iMacs and MacBooks that are on campus and connected to the campus network.***
Passwords should only be changed on a UW-Green Bay MacBook that is connected to VPN.
If you need VPN installed on a UW-Green Bay MacBook, please contact the GBIT Service Desk at (920) 465-2309 or at email@example.com.
1. Ensure you are connected to the VPN.
***NOTE: This step is for MacBook users only. If you are changing the password on your iMac, you may skip this step.***
1. Look for a Globe icon in the menu bar and select it.
2. Note whether it says Connected. If it does, as in the example below, you can continue with the password reset.
***NOTE: If it does not say Connected, you are not connected to VPN. Contact the GBIT Service Desk for assistance.***
2. Select the Apple icon in the upper left-hand side of the screen and select "System Settings."
***NOTE: Please follow the images marked "Current Version (Ventura OS)."***
3. In System Preferences:
1. Select "Users & Groups."
2. Select the ⓘ icon next to the profile that you would like to change the password for.
4. Select "Change Password."
5. Enter in the fields, specifying your old and new password. Select "Change Password."
***NOTE: It is important to follow the password requirements for UWGB accounts while creating a new password.***
- Must be a minimum of 14 characters, not to exceed 49 characters.
- Password must be a mix of uppercase, lowercase, numbers and special characters.
- Must contain at least one number.
- Must be changed at least every 180 days.
- Must not contain any character more than twice consecutively.
- Passwords may not contain the user’s first or last name
- Must not include any personal information, (i.e. name, birthday, SSN).
- Can’t be any of your last 24 passwords.
Your password has now been changed. You can close System Preferences.
To change your UWGB password on your personal device, please use the Password Reset Tool found at the following page: https://www.uwgb.edu/information-technology/password-reset/
***NOTE: For Mac users: Changing your password within the Password Reset Tool will not change your password on your campus Mac. Please contact the GBIT Service Desk for assistance in syncing your password.***