Topics Map > IT Help Desk Services > Applications
Topics Map > IT Help Desk Services > Mac
Mac - Set Default Application for PDFs
This document covers how to set different applications to open PDF files in macOS.
By default, macOS has Preview the built in PDF reader open and render all PDFs. This can be changed with a few simple steps.
1. Find a PDF file.
2. Right click (control key + click) on the PDF. In the menu, select Get Info.
3. When the Get Info window appears, expand the Open with section right above Preview.
4. Select where it currently says Preview as the default application.
5. Pick the desired application.
6. If you desire that all PDFs open via the new application (not just the one we are currently viewing) click Change All...
7. macOS will ask for confirmation of this action. If you wish to proceed, click Continue.
8. Close the Get Info window.