Topics Map > GBIT Service Desk Services > Printing
Topics Map > GBIT Service Desk Services > Departmental Support > Purchasing
Purchasing - Department Purchases of Multi-function Devices (Ricoh)
The campus has standardized on Ricoh MFD devices. MFD's allow printing, scanning, and copying with the option to fax. Often one MFD can replace several printers and scanner resulting in reduced energy consumption and lower cost of ownership. There are models available based on department volume.
UW-Green Bay is "Going Green" by using Network Printers & Multi-function Devices.
UW-Green Bay has newly defined standards and criteria to use when evaluating printing options. GBIT and Purchasing would appreciate the opportunity to share our findings and help you save money, achieve the best functionality, improve efficiency, and help meet campus sustainability goals.
Currently at UW-Green Bay
There are 5,000,000 to 6,000,000 images printed on campus equipment every year.
The campus has 444 printers and/or multifunction devices (1 device per 1.6 employees).
Cost per image varies from less than two cents to over twenty cents.
- Centralizing network printing functions.
- No local printers.
- No inkjet printers (though exceptions can be made for graphics design and large format printers).
- Replacing printers with a Ricoh multi-function device (MFD).
- Sharing information about MFD's
- MFD's offer networked printing, copying, duplex, scan to email, collating, stapling, print and hold functions, optional color print and fax features.
- MFD's cost/page includes the equipment, maintenance, toner, staples and paper.
- The environmental impact of MFD's is significantly lower than that of printers.
- Lower energy and toner use equals lower CO2 emissions.
- Expanding use of duplex printing for printers and MFD’s.
- Default printing to black instead of color to save money.
- Follow me printing so that you can release print jobs at any printer, and get billed accordingly and automatically.
How to Determine if Your Department May be a Good Candidate for an MFD
- Your department can pool area printer volume to an average of 3,000 or more pages/month.
- You can include your color prints in the pool now that color MFD’s are available.
How to Determine if You Might be a Good Candidate for a Personal Printer
- Distance to a networked printer or MFD is farther than 20 steps from your office.
- You regularly work off hours with no printer or MFD (copier) access.
All across the U.S., printer consolidation has been found to save money by reducing the number of devices in printer fleets, and by ensuring that the remaining devices are more cost effective to own and operate. Strategies include the elimination of inkjet or other high-cost printers, the sharing of workgroup printers, and the use of multi-function devices (MFD’s) instead of individual printers, copiers, fax machines, and scanners. Benefits include lower costs for hardware, consumables (paper, ink, and toner), electricity, and maintenance.
Common Questions and Concerns
I’m concerned about the environment, but I am also concerned about our budget. Will this cost us more?
It shouldn’t cost you more, but this depends on your area’s current equipment and usage. Cost information will be considered in the assessment so you may make an informed decision.
What if our MFD is not working properly and we need to print?
You should always have an alternate available for printing. Networked central printers and MFD’s can be mapped so that you may route your prints to at least two devices.
What if we have problems with our printer?
Contact the GBIT Service Desk for assistance x2309
What if we have problems with our MFD?
Place a service request with Ricoh on-line at www.RicohDirect.com or call 800.432.9707 (see tag on your MFD). The State contract provides many protections to assure the quality and reliability of your MFD:
- 4 hour response time to your request
- 8-hour replacement for a failed unit (we have an extra MFD on campus for such situations)
- Performance Up-time Guarantee of at least 95% during every calendar month.
I do a lot of confidential printing and am concerned about confidentiality with a shared device.
All of the networked MFD’s, along with some of the HP printers, offer the Print and Hold feature. This allows print jobs to be sent to the printer, but not actually printed until a user releases the job at the printer, with optional password, thus ensuring sensitive data stays secure.
How can I reduce unwanted page printing and duplex?
Every year, extra pages are printed that just go straight to the recycle bin. Please consider these options to save the paper, electricity and toner used in those unwanted pages:
- Set your printer to duplex by default if you have that option. You can switch to single-side as needed.
- Set color printers to print black by default. Again – color can be turned on via Printer Properties.
How can I get help with selecting a Printer or an MFD for my area?
Contact Bridget Oliver x2598 to obtain an MFD. This will be based on your department's needs.
When should I use the off campus DigiCOPY Copy Center?
Digicopy provides a wide variety of services to support students, faculty and staff needs. Large print jobs, flyers, and posters are just some of the services that they offer. See the Purchasing website for more information. The higher the quantity, the more likely that it will be more cost effective to have the piece printed off-campus rather than using a Ricoh.