Topics Map > Instructional Resources > Canvas
Canvas - How to Migrate Course from D2L to Canvas
This document details how to move a course from D2L to Canvas.
Create the Zip Package
Import the Zip Package into Canvas
View Current Jobs
To move your course from D2L to Canvas, you have to first create a file called a zip package which you can then upload into Canvas.
1. If you are using a default navigation bar in D2L and see a button that says "Export This Course" you can skip ahead to step 4. If you do not see this button, select "Edit Course" and complete steps 2 and 3.
2. Select "Import/Export/Copy Components" from the forest of icons.
3. Select "export components" and select "Start."
1. Select the items you want to export
2. Select "Continue."
5. Confirm that these are the course items you want and select "Continue" again.
6. Select "Finish" once the items you selected have check marks next to them.
7. Select the "Click here to download the export Zip package" link and the file will download to your default download location.
Import the Zip Package into Canvas
Navigate to this Canvas Instructor's Guide for more information: How do I import content from Desire 2 Learn (D2L) into Canvas?. All pictures below are provided by the Guide.
1. In Course Navigation, select the "Settings" link.
2. Select the "Import Course Content" link.
3. In the Content Type drop-down menu, select the "D2L export .zip format" option.
4. Select the "Choose File" button.
1) Find and select the D2L .zip file you want to import.
2) Select "Open."
6. In the Default Question Bank drop-down menu, select the question bank you would like to use.
***NOTE: If you do not have a question bank you want to use, you can create a new question bank. In the drop-down menu, select the "-- Create new question bank --" option. Navigate to this page in the Canvas Instructor Guide for more information: How do I create a question bank in a course? ***
7. To import all content from the course, select "All Content." To import only specific content, select "Select Specific Content." Navigate to this page in the Canvas Instructor Guide for more information on the specific content option: How do I select specific content as part of a course import?
***NOTE: If you select the specific content option, you are required to select the content you want to import after you review the remaining page options. After you start importing the content, the import selection cannot be canceled.***
8. If you want to adjust the due dates associated with the course events and assignments, select "Adjust events and due dates." Navigate to this page in the Canvas Instructor Guide for more information on adjusting due dates: How do I adjust events and due dates in a course import?
9. Select "Import."
The Current Jobs section displays the status of your import. Jobs can appear in these two different ways:
- Running reports display a menu bar with the time remaining to complete the import.
- If you chose to select specific content in your course, the current job will show as Waiting for Select, which means you must select the content you want to import.
However, the import may also display other status indicators as part of the import process. Navigate to this page on the Canvas Instructor Guide for more information: How do I view the status of current and prior course imports?
View the content from any completed imports by accessing any link in Course Navigation.