Topics Map > Instructional Resources > Kaltura/My Media
Kaltura Media in Canvas
The Kaltura media systems (KMS) used for D2L and Canvas are different. While you own both, one (D2L) is managed by campus admins and contains media which can be accessed through D2L only, and the other (Canvas) is managed by UW-System admins and contains media which can be accessed through Canvas only. UW-System is planning to move the content from the D2L KMS to the Canvas KMS as the transition from one system to the other moves forward. In the meantime, this document explains: first, how to create and add content via the Canvas KMS; second, how to copy (duplicate) media from the D2L KMS to the Canvas KMS for use in Canvas.
Using the Canvas KMS to CREATE and/or ADD media to Canvas
To create or upload new media: Press Add New at the top. To upload a file you already have: Select Media Upload and follow the steps to upload a video or audio file. To make a new recording: Select Kaltura Capture.
COPY media from the D2L KMS to the Canvas KMS
NOTE: If you are looking for Kaltura media that was in the D2L KMS prior to Jan. 10, 2019, it has likely already been migrated. Check My Media in Canvas first before completing the steps below.
You can copy content by downloading it from the D2L KMS and uploading it via the Embed Kaltura Media option in Canvas.
- Log in to the D2L KMS (at https://media.uwgb.edu/)
- Go to My Media
- Press Edit (the pencil icon to the right of an item)
- Press the Downloads tab and select at least one of the size options ("Source" is recommended to download the original video in full quality).
- Press Save.
- Then press Go to Media
- Press the Download tab and select Download in the Actions column for the corresponding video quality (if you only selected one size option in step 4, you will only have one Download button).
- Follow the steps to download the file (these steps will depend on your browser)
- Follow the steps above to upload media to the Canvas KMS and embed in Canvas.