Topics Map > Instructional Resources > Kaltura/My Media
Kaltura Capture Desktop Recorder
The Kaltura Capture desktop recorder application can be used by UWGB instructors, students, and staff to create video recordings and upload those recordings to their Kaltura My Media library. Recordings can include any combination of screen recording, webcam video, and audio—including all three at once.
Launching Kaltura Capture:
- Log into Canvas - UWGB Canvas Login Page
- Click Account in the global navigation menu along the left edge of the page
- Select My Media
- Click on Add New
- Select Kaltura Capture
- If prompted by your browser, allow the site to open the Kaltura Capture application. First time users will need to first download and install the app on their computer (see below).
Installing Kaltura Capture (for first time users):
Using Kaltura Capture
When Kaltura Capture finishes launching, the recording setup toolbar is displayed:
- Start Recording - click the red record button to start a new recording.
- Screen capture recording - click this icon to disable or enable screen capture for your recording. If you have more than one monitor, select which to record by clicking the caret (i.e. down arrow) next to the icon to open a preview window and input settings menu.
- Webcam recording - click this icon to disable or enable the webcam for your recording. This will not appear if Capture does not detect your webcam. Click the caret next to the icon to view a preview of your webcam and select which camera device to record.
- Microphone recording - click this icon to disable or enable the microphone for your recording. If you have more than one microphone device, click the caret next to the icon to select which device to record.
- Manage - use this link to manage any recordings you have stored on your computer (e.g. delete, describe, upload, etc.). You can also change the recording resolution of your screen and camera and toggle system audio recording. You would want to record system audio in the event you were capturing other media or items with sound within your recording.
After starting a recording, a small recording panel appears in the bottom corner of your screen:
- Stop recording (square icon) - click this when you're all done recording
- Pause recording (double vertical lines icon) - useful when taking a break or to change recorded content (e.g. switch from PowerPoint to a YouTube clip). This icon turns into the resume recording icon when a recording is paused.
- Cancel recording (X icon) - discards any recorded material from the last time Start Recording was pressed
- Current recording duration
- Microphone indicator - a visual auto meter that represents the current volume of recorded sound and should move as you speak
- Notation tools (pencil icon) - clicking this opens the notation tools menu above the recording panel (seen in the upper half of the above image). You can draw (pencil icon), make arrows by clicking and dragging (arrow icon), write text (T icon), record the mouse pointer with "clicks" indicated visually (cursor/pointer icon), move notations by clicking and dragging (4-way arrow icon), change notation color, discard/clear all notations (trash icon), and adjust the width of notations (vertical slider).
Uploading recordings to Kaltura:
After your video finishes uploading, the notification of success and the library entry will display a link to the video. The links displayed within the Kaltura Classroom app do not work with UW System's Kaltura implementation. To view your uploaded videos, access My Media within Canvas. To share an uploaded recording, embed it in Canvas or copy the share link from My Media.
Learn more about using the Kaltura Capture app by reviewing the official Kaltura Capture User Guide.