Topics Map > GBIT Service Desk Services
Topics Map > Instructional Resources > Canvas
Create Sandbox Template Courses in Canvas
This document can show instructors how to create a sandbox course in Canvas. A Canvas sandbox course, previously known as a "master" course, is a place for instructors to create, test, and develop course content outside of an active instructional course. Sandbox courses cannot contain Students, but content from a Sandbox course can be easily imported into an instructional course.
- Navigate to the UWGB Canvas page: https://www.uwgb.edu/canvas
- Click on Canvas Login
- Choose your institution (UW-Green Bay)
- Sign in using your UWGB username and password
- Click on the Help button in the Global Navigation bar
- Click the link called Create a Sandbox Course
IMPORTANT: The "Create a Sandbox Course" link only appears in the Help menu when it is accessed from your Canvas dashboard in the main instructional instance of Canvas. Make sure that your browser's address bar shows "uwgby.instructure.com" while you are attempting to create a sandbox course. If it does not, you should close Canvas and start with a fresh sign in from the UWGB website or navigate directly to https://uwgby.instructure.com. You will not see the sandbox creation link if your address bar shows "uws.instructure.com", "uws-ce.instructure.com", or "uws-td.instructure.com". If you are not yet enrolled as a teacher in an instructional Canvas course, you will not see this link. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request that an admin create a Sandbox course on your behalf.
- Fill out the form to create a sandbox course
- Enter a Course Name
- Enter the same thing for Course Code, or a shorter version
- Choose a Department
- Click Create Course