Topics Map > Instructional Resources > Canvas
Canvas - Sending final grades to SIS
This article explains how instructors can send their final grade letter values from Canvas to SIS.
Here is the procedure for sending grades from Canvas to SIS:
- In the Settings page of your Canvas course, create and enable a grading scheme that matches the letter grade format used in SIS (use only A, AB, B, BC, C, CD, D, and F). Please reference the following Canvas guides:
- Finish grading all graded activities in Canvas.
- Enter zeroes in the Canvas gradebook for missing work so that the total scores in Canvas are accurate. During the grade sync to SIS, anything not graded will count as a zero for a student.
- Bonus/Extra Credit assignments worth 0 total points in Canvas (x/0) have no impact if a student didn’t earn any points.
- Make sure all assignment grades have been posted in Canvas. Hidden/muted grades will not be included in the grade sync calculation. Please see: How do I post grades for an assignment in the Gradebook?
- Send your grades from Canvas to SIS:
- Navigate to your Canvas course.
- Click on Grades in the course navigation menu to open your gradebook.
- Click on the Sync button, then select Sync to SIS.
- You should see a Sync Grades window confirming the successful scheduling of your sync request. You can click on the success message to view progress. The sync process typically takes around 5 minutes to finish.
Once the grade sync is complete, you must approve the grades in SIS. Follow the steps below to approve your final grades in SIS, or reference the full SIS Help guide on submitting final grades for additional information:
- Log in to SIS - UWGB SIS Login Page
- Go to the grade roster for your course then complete the following steps:
- Under "Display options", select Final Grade as the "Grade Roster Type".
- Grades from Canvas send to the Roster Grade column; verify the grades in this column are what you expected to see from Canvas. If needed, you may make changes in the Canvas gradebook and restart the grade sync process.
- Under "Grade Roster Action", select Approved in the "Approval Status" dropdown menu, then click Save.