Topics Map > Instructional Resources > Canvas
Using the VoiceThread Assignment Builder in Canvas
The VoiceThread Assignment Builder lets you create VoiceThread assignments in Canvas. Activities created in this way function as an assignment in Canvas and sync with the Canvas gradebook.
Here is how to set up a VoiceThread assignment with the Assignment Builder.
1. In your Canvas course, click on the Assignments link in the left-side course navigation menu.
2. Click the + Assignment button in the top-right corner.
3. Give your VoiceThread assignment a name and description in the appropriate fields.
4. Scroll down to “Submission Type” and click the dropdown menu.
5. Select External Tool from the dropdown menu.
6. Click the Find button.
7. A window will open with a list of external tools. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and click VoiceThread. You may have to drag one or both of the scroll bars on the right side to see all options.
8. The VoiceThread Setup menu will open. Select the Assignment Builder button.
9. Choose one of the three assignment types:
a. Create a VoiceThread. Students are required to create and submit their own VoiceThread project.
b. Submit a Comment. Students are required to submit one or more comments on an instructor VoiceThread. You may also use this option if you would like students to add slides to a VoiceThread you’ve created.
c. Watch a VoiceThread. Students are required to watch a VoiceThread in its entirety.
10. For option a, skip to step 11. For options b and c, either create a new project by clicking the Create new VoiceThread button and then following the usual steps for creating a VoiceThread project or select a pre-existing VoiceThread you’ve created from the left sidebar.
TIP: If you want to reuse a VoiceThread project from another course or section, select the project in the left sidebar and then "Make a new copy to share" in the right panel to create a new copy of that project. In the copy menu, select "Include only my comments" or "Don't include any comments" to make sure your VoiceThread copy doesn't contain comments from students in another course.
11. Give your VoiceThread a name and description by filling in the appropriate boxes. You may have to scroll down to see these fields.
12. Enter the required number of comments and tick the appropriate setting checkboxes, if applicable, then click the blue Create Assignment button.
13. Click the blue Save and Continue button.
14. The VoiceThread setup menu will close and you will be returned to the external tool window in Canvas. Tick the box that says “Load in a new tab”, then click the green Select button in the bottom-right corner.
15. Scroll down and fill in any additional assignment settings in Canvas, such as the point value and due date.
16. In the bottom-right corner, click either the Save button to save your work and return later or Save & Publish if you are ready for the assignment to be published.