Topics Map > Instructional Resources > Canvas
Canvas - Creating Discussions
Canvas Discussions allow instructors and students to interact in online message board-like environment. Instructors can view and create Discussions by clicking the Discussions link in the course navigation menu to open the course's Discussions Index page. Discussions can be ungraded or graded and can be added to modules on the course home page. This article is a collection of useful Canvas guide resources on using Discussions in your Canvas course.
Video Source (Canvas Video Guide)
What Are Discussions? (Canvas Basics Guide)
Selected How-to Resources (Canvas Instructor Guides)
- How do I use the Discussions Index Page?
- How do I create a discussion?
- How do I assign a graded discussion to everyone in a course?
- How do I create a group discussion?
- How do I edit a discussion?
- How do I add a discussion to a course module?
- How do I publish or unpublish a discussion?
- How can I require students to reply to a discussion before they can see other replies?
- How do I allow students to edit and delete their own discussion replies?
- How do I allow students to attach files to a course discussion?
- How do I allow students to create a course discussion?
Interacting with Discussions
- How do I view and sort discussion replies?
- How do I reply to a discussion?
- How do I subscribe to a discussion to receive notifications?
- How do I grade a graded discussion in SpeedGrader?
- How do I edit or delete student discussion replies?
- How do I close a discussion for comments?
- How do I delete a discussion?
Adding Media and Files to Replies
- How do I embed an image in a discussion reply?
- How to I embed a My Media video in a discussion reply? (UWGB KnowledgeBase Article)
- How do I attach a file to a discussion reply?
Canvas support is available 24 hours a day! Access Canvas support options by clicking the Help button in the Global Navigation Menu located along the left-edge of any page in Canvas. The Help menu contains options for contacting Canvas support via live chat, phone, and email. For more information on contacting Canvas support, please see Canvas - Contacting 24/7 Canvas Support .