Topics Map > UWGB Help Desk > Macintosh
Rebuilding Microsoft Outlook 2011 for Mac Database
This article shows how to rebuild your Outlook Database using the Microsoft Database Utility
If Outlook 2011 for Mac becomes sluggish or you start experiencing issues with email messages and calendar appointments not showing up, you can rebuild your Outlook Database, which is a local copy of your Exchange email.
NOTE: These directions are specifically orientated towards users who use Microsoft Exchange email where everything is synced to a server. If you use a different mail service, consult with your technical support provider as you could lose data!
To rebuild your Outlook Database:
- Quit all open Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc)
- Open up the Microsoft Database Utility located under Applications\Microsoft Office 2011\Office\
- Highlight the Main Identity and click Rebuild...
- When prompted to quit all Office applications, click Quit All
- You may then prompted with an additional screen warning you there is a problem with the Office Database. If you see this click Rebuild again.
- The utility will now start rebuilding the database. This can take 5+ minutes during which time you cannot use any Office application.
- When the rebuild is finished, click Done
- Click and highlight the backup database and click the - button to delete.
- You will get prompted to confirm the deletion of your backup. Click Delete
- Your Outlook Database has now been rebuilt. You can quit the Database utility and start using Outlook and the other Office applications again.