Correcting Keychain Password Errors
The Keychain is part of your Macintosh profile that stores passwords for various programs including Safari and Outlook. If you change your campus password using Outlook Web Access or any other method aside from directly within System Preferences, the Keychain password will not update and you will get error messages every time you open various applications.
This document shows how to correct Keychain password errors.
To prevent these issues in the future, you should change your password by going to System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Change Password...
Deleting/Recreating your Keychain:
- From the Finder Menu Bar navigate to Go > Go to Folder...
- From the "Go to Folder..." window navigate to the users ~/Library/Keychains/ folder.
- Delete the all of the contents of the ~/Library/Keychains/ folder.
- Reboot the Mac and have the user log in.
- The Keychain has now been recreated and is synced with the new campus password. To prevent this issue in the future, can change the password by going to System Preferences -> Accounts -> Change Password...
A note on why we remove the entire contents of the ~/Library/Keychains/ folder (Local Items Issue):