Topics Map > UWGB Help Desk > Macintosh
Correcting Keychain Password Errors
The Keychain is part of your Macintosh profile that stores passwords for various programs including Safari and Outlook. If you change your campus password using Outlook Web Access or any other method aside from directly within System Preferences, the Keychain password will not update and you will get error messages every time you open various applications.
This document shows how to correct Keychain password errors
This document covers two methods for correcting your Keychain. The first method covers updating your Keychain password if you remember your old password. The second method covers deleting the Keychain and creating a new one. Please attempt the first method prior to resorting to the second method.
To prevent these issues in the future, you should change your password by going to System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Change Password...
Resetting your Keychain password:
- Open up Keychain Access under Applications -> Utilities -> Keychain Access.
- Click on login under Keychains on the left. Go to Edit -> Change Password for Keychain "Login"...
- Enter your OLD campus password into the Current Password field. Enter your CURRENT password into the New Password and Verify fields and click OK
- You should see a message that your password updated successfully. You can now quit Keychain Access. If you did not, you will need to follow the next set of steps to reset your Keychain.
Deleting/Recreating your Keychain:
- From the Finder Menu Bar navigate to Go > Go to Folder...
- From the "Go to Folder..." window navigate to the users ~/Library/Keychains/ folder.
- Delete the all of the contents of the ~/Library/Keychains/ folder.
- Reboot the Mac and have the user log in.
- The Keychain has now been recreated and is synced with the new campus password. To prevent this issue in the future, can change the password by going to System Preferences -> Accounts -> Change Password...
A note on why we remove the entire contents of the ~/Library/Keychains/ folder (Local Items Issue):