Topics Map > UWGB Help Desk > Handheld Device
Wireless Configuration for Android
This article explain how to set up your Android device to use the eduroam network.
Your Android device must be Wi-Fi capable and running Android 2.1 or later in order to use the eduroam. There are known compatibility issues with Android 4.1 and 4.2 that results in very frequent disconnects. You also need a UWGB network account or another eduroam-enabled email account in order to authenticate to this network.
Due to variations in Android devices, not every Android-based device will work in the same way. Therefore, CIT cannot guarantee every device can be made to work.
Android 4.xPlease note that Android 4.1 and 4.2 have known compatibility issues with 802.1x networks, which is what eduroam uses. You should be able to connect, but you will likely experience very frequent disconnects. This may drain your battery and cause mobile data to be disrupted as well. This issue should be fixed in 4.3 and 4.4, however not all devices will be receiving the updates. Contact your carrier or device manufacturer to see if there is an update available or planned.
- Open Settings.
- Make sure Wi-Fi is set to on, and tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap the eduroam network.
- Verify connection settings: Any certificates should be set as unspecified or none. EAP method is PEAP. Phase 2 authentication is None. Identity is your campus email address. Anonymous identity should be left blank. Enter your campus password. No advanced settings need to be changed. Tap Connect.
- It will then go back to the screen showing available wireless networks. It should say Connected right below eduroam after a few seconds.
Android 2.x and 3.x
- From the Android Home screen, tap Menu then tap Settings.
- Tap Wireless and network and then tap Wi-Fi settings.
- Tap Wi-Fi to turn-on wireless (if not already on).
- From the list of Wi-Fi networks, tap eduroam (for UWGB users and traveling scholars) and click Connect to network on the pop-up.
- You may be prompted for a credential storage password, if so create one – this is local to your phone and has no bearing on wireless/email/web/etc. Tap OK when finished.
- The Connect to Eduroam pop-up menu will display. Select the following settings:
- EAP method: PEAP
- Phase 2 authentication: MSCHAPv2
- Tap NEXT
- Client certificate: N/A
- Identification: <Your uwgb email address> for example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tap NEXT.
- Wireless Password: <your UWGB password>
- Tap Done.
- Tap Connect.
- EAP method: PEAP
- Wait about 10-15 seconds while your Android acquires an IP address and you will then be connected.