Topics Map > UWGB Help Desk
Student & Employee Distribution List Email Policy
This document discuesses the Student & Employee Distribution List Email Policy
E-mail Policy and Guidelines
Approved: Technology Council (10-7-02)
Chancellor's Cabinet (2-18-03)
It is the policy of the University of Wisconsin System to afford broad access to information technology resources for university students, faculty and staff for use in fulfilling the university’s missions, and for appropriate university-related activities. The University encourages appropriate use of all-campus email distribution lists for University-related business, requires civility and common sense in its use, and respect for others including the recognition of academic freedom and free speech.
The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay furnishes computers and provides access to campus computer network resources; including individual email accounts to each employee and each student, in order to support learning and enhance instruction, promote educational excellence.
E-mail distribution lists are used to facilitate resource sharing, communication, research, and community building. This method of communication is viewed as being cost-effective and reducing the amount of paperwork distributed through other established means (intercampus mail). However, the overuse of campus-wide emails can reduce effective communication and so the University also encourages consideration of other electronic communication such as those listed in Appendix C.
- E-mail communication should be used to inform faculty, staff and students about activities, events or policies that relate to the University’s educational services and business. All campus E-mail distribution lists are maintained as a means of facilitating electronic communication within the University community.
- All campus and groups of employees and students email distribution lists will be established and maintained by the Information Services Division. Specific offices and individuals will be authorized to post to these lists (See Appendix B for current lists and authorized individuals and offices).
- Individuals may create convenience distribution lists as desired using their Outlook address book.
- The University owns the e-mail accounts and uses them as an official method of communication with employees and students. Employees and students are responsible for reading official information shared via e-mail.
- Campus e-mail distribution lists are not available to non-university entities.
- Material sent to distribution lists must be related to the group being mailed and must pertain to University business. The distribution lists are not intended to be used for personal or commercial gain.
- Use of plain text and web links are encouraged. Use of attachments and graphics is discouraged. Prepare the e-mail message exactly the way it should be sent out. Keep messages brief and to the point.
- Each message must contain the intended recipient(s), meaningful subject line, and signature block with sender, sender’s departmental affiliation, office telephone number and email address.
- The message should be a one-time event or announcement (not an on-going activity or deadline).
- E-mails should be edited carefully for content before being sent for posting. Repeat emails and corrections will be sent on a very limited basis.
- Messages should be sent to the authorized individual two days in advance to allow adequate time for posting.
- Acceptable Use and Network Etiquette policies must be followed. (Staff Acceptable Use Policy for Technology & the Internet )
- Sender is responsible for all replies, responses, and complaints.
- Same day event messages are not guaranteed to be sent
- Any student wanting to do an email survey is encouraged to first consult with Assessment or Institutional Research or Learning and Technology Center Offices for proper preparation, approval and email versus web application before sending. Instructor and Human Subjects Review Committee approvals are also required for student email surveys. E-mail surveys should be limited to course–related and official University business.
- The posting of email messages is determined by posting office. If a posting is denied, the message is returned to the sender.
RELATED LAWS and POLICIES
UW-Green Bay Policies
Acceptable Use Policy for Technology and the Internet – UW Employees (Staff Acceptable Use Policy for Technology & the Internet )
- Acceptable Use Policy for Technology and the Internet – UW Students
- Civility and Tolerance Statement (www.uwgb.edu/deanofstudents/policies/civility.htm)
- Network Etiquette at UW-Green Bay (Staff Acceptable Use Policy for Technology & the Internet )
- Student Usage and Computer Lab Policies (Student Acceptable Use Policy for Technology )
UW System Board of Regent Policies
- UWS 97-2 Policy on Use of Information Technology Resources
State of Wisconsin Code and Statutes
- Chapter UWS 8 – Wisconsin Administrative Code – Ethical Standards of Conduct for Faculty and Staff
- Chapter UWS 14 – Wisconsin Administrative Code – Academic Discipline
- Chapter UWS 17- Wisconsin Administrative Code – Non-Academic Discipline
- Chapter UWS 18 – Wisconsin Administrative Code – Conduct on University Land
- Chapter UWS 19 – Wisconsin Administrative Code – Public Records and Property
- Chapter UWS 21- Wisconsin Administrative Code – Use of University Facilities
- Chapter ER-MRS 24 – Wisconsin Administrative Code – Ethical Standards of Conduct for Classified Staff
- Chapter US 939 – Wisconsin Administrative Code – Crimes against property
- Chapter US 11 – Wisconsin Statute– Use of State Facilities for Political Activities
- Section 943.70– Wisconsin Statute – Wisconsin Computer Crimes Act
- Title 17 U.S. Code – Federal Copyright Laws
Approved by Technology Council October 7, 2002
Approved by Leaderhip Team, February 5, 2003
Approved by Chancellor, February 18, 2003
All Campus Distribution Lists
Classified (all classified employees)
Class-FSS (classified – fiscal and staff services)
Class-Non (non-represented classified employees)
Class-WEAC (Classified – Wisconsin Education Association Council)
Class-WSEU (classified State Employees Union)
Class-WSEUC (Classified State Employee Union Administrative Support with supervisors)
WSEUC (Classified State Employee Union Administrative Support without supervisors)
Class-Super (Classified Employee Supervisors)
Faculty (All faculty)
Instr-AS-W-Status (Instructional academic staff with faculty status)
Instr-AS (Instructional academic staff)
Non-Instr-AS (Non-instructional Academic staff)
Limited (Limited appointment, unclassified)
UW-Green-Bay (All UW-Green Bay employees)
UW-Green Bay Students (All UW-Green Bay students)
UW-Green Bay Active Students (All students registered for the current semester)
|Office||Authorized individuals||Type of message||Send to||Frequency|
|* Student Life||
Assistant Dean for Campus Life Director of Student Life
|Student Activities, programs and organizations||campuslife @uwgb.edu||Sent each Monday – messages due Friday before no later than 4:30 pm|
|* Dean of Students||Dean of Students
Dean of Students Office ADA & USA
|One-time non-academic administrative notice||Student firstname.lastname@example.org||On demand with two day advance notice|
|Academic Deans Office||
Dean of Liberal Arts & Sciences
|Academically related notices||On-demand|
|IT and Library||CIO
Coordinator of MIS
Coordinator of Networking
Coordinator of TEAM
Coordinator of User Support
|CIT, training, and Library notices and services||On-demand|
Provost Office ADA & USA
|Administrative and academic notices||On-demand|
|Business and Finance||Vice Chancellor for Business & Finance
Director of Institutional Support
Director of Public Safety
Assistant to the Chancellor
|Advancement University Relations||Assistant Chancellor for Advancement
Director of University Communications
Director of News & Media Relations
|All campus notices and press releases||On-demand|
Secretary of the Faculty & Academic Staff
|Governance related email@example.com||On-demand|
Director of Human Resources
|Human Resource related notices||On-demand|
|Housing||Director of Residence Life||Messages that pertain only to on-campus firstname.lastname@example.org||On-demand|
|Athletics||Athletic Director||Athletic notices||On-demand|
|Registrar||Registrar||Registration and SIS notices||On-demand|
|University Union||Director of the University Union||Messages that pertain to University Union events and Passport Card System||On-demand|
|LOG Online||Faculty and staff||Log@uwgb.edu
|Twice a week on Mondays and Thursdays|
|Fourth Estate||Students||Weekly fall and spring semester|
|Res Life Cable TV||Students living on-campus||Res Life 465-2040||On demand – maximum 40 words|
|Union- This Week on Campus||Faculty and students||UU Marketing dept.
|Weekly – due on Wednesday before Monday distribution|
|All University Calendar||Faculty, staff and students||Publicsafety@uwgb.edu|
|Campus Life Events Calendar||Studentsemail@example.com||On-going|