Topics Map > Instructional Technology > D2L
Enabling Turnitin (Orginality Checking) within a D2L Dropbox Folder
This document describes how to enable Turnitin within a D2L dropbox folder.
You can enable TurnItIn (Originality checking) when creating a dropbox, or you can do so by editing the dropbox. If you're familiar with editing and creating dropboxes, skip to step 3.
1. To edit a dropbox, do the following:
- Click on Dropbox in the navigation bar.
- Click the drop-down arrow and then Edit Folder for the folder that you want to edit.
2. To create a dropbox, do the following:
- Click on Dropbox in the navigation bar
- Click on New Folder.
3. To enable TurnItIn originality checking:1. Either during the creation process, or after selecting Edit Folder (step 1 above), click on the Restrictions tab.
For communication between D2L and Turnitin to work correctly, each dropbox with Turnitin enabled must also have a Start and End date set. The Due date is a "soft" deadline within D2L and is not required nor relevant to Turnitin.
2. Once the Start and End dates are set, click on the Turnitin tab.
3. Click Save or Save and Close to apply any changes to the dropbox folder.
- You must click on the box labelled Enable Turnitin for this folder (highlighted in yellow, above).
- If you'd like students to also be able to see their originality results, click on the box labelled Allow learners to see Turnitin similarity scores in their dropbox folder (circled in blue, above).
- To set additional options, click on the button labelled More Options in Turnitin (blue asterisk)
More options window:
Options in gray are set by D2L. Options enclosed by the blue bracket can sometimes reduce false positives in originality checking.
If you prefer that your students' submissions not be included in Turitin's student paper repository, select the drop-down box under the label Submissions to this assignment will be stored in: and select Do not store the submitted papers.
Click Submit to save any Turnitin option settings.