Topics Map > Instructional Technology > D2L
Generating Random Questions for a Quiz in D2L
To generate a random section in a Quiz in D2L
Before creating the random section (Question Library)
Before creating a random section, you will need to create questions in the Question Library.
Create the Random Section
- Click on Quizzes in the navigation bar.
- Create a new quiz or click the dropdown for the quiz in which you would like to add a random section.
- Click on the Properties tab if you are not defaulted to it.
- Click on the Add/Edit Questions button under "Quiz Questions."
- Click the New button and choose Random Section.
- Type in a Section Name. You also have the option to provide:
- A message: A note that can be displayed when the section is displayed to students. For example: "This section deals with the material covered in Chapter 8."
- Private comments: A note that only you or those grading the exam will see.
- Image: An image that might go along with your message (note that the "Message" field also has the "Insert Stuff" button and thus can contain images). Example: Image, "Figure 8.3" while the message is "Refer to Figure 8.3 to answer the following questions."
- Description (of the image if used)
- Display Options: Choose whether the section name is shown to students, whether there should be a line after that section name, and whether & where to show your message and image.
Import questions to the random section
- A purple folder icon indicates the random section was created
. Click on this folder.
- Click on the Import button at the top.
- Use the Source Section
drop-down list to select a section from your Question Library. TIP: use "Collect Root" to view a list of all the questions in the question library.
- Check the box to the left of all questions that you want to include in the random section. TIP: automatically select all the questions in one section by checking the box next to the section's folder icon.
- Once you have selected your questions, click the Save button.
"Activate" the random section
- At the top of the page, under "Questions per attempt," enter the number of questions that you want each student to see from the random section.
- If you would like students to get ALL questions in the section but in a random order, enter the same number of questions under "Questions per attempt" as there are "Total" questions (listed at the bottom of the questions list).
- Do not put a larger number here than there are "Total" questions (listed at the bottom of the questions list), as it will cause errors when students take the quiz.
- D2L cannot tell the difference between random sections' source library sections. In other words, if you create multiple random sections and select the same question(s) for each of them, a student could get the same question twice.
- You may have multiple random sections, and/or random sections in addition to questions, as well as "regular" sections. A regular section appears with a yellow (rather than purple) folder and will display ALL questions within it in order. A section can also contain other sections, including random sections. When doing so, however, pay particular attention to the previous consideration as well.
- When editing a question (e.g. correcting an answer) you will be asked where you would like it changed. Be sure to select both the section/quiz and the question library.