Topics Map > UWGB Help Desk > Applications
Topics Map > UWGB Help Desk > Home Use Software
Topics Map > UWGB Help Desk > Network / File Shares
Topics Map > Instructional Technology > D2L
Topics Map > Instructional Technology > Lecture Capture
Using Techsmith Relay
This document summarizes how to install Camtasia Relay on a personal computer or laptop.
Relay can be installed on any campus machine and used to create desktop recordings (e.g. lectures) as long as there is a microphone and/or webcam on that computer. NOTE: Relay is intended for in-classroom use; to create recordings outside of class or on your home computer, you should use Kaltura CaptureSpace Lite instead.
To install Relay on a campus computer:
- Navigate to the "Apps" ("X-drive") folder and open the Lecture Capture folder.
- Use either the .exe file (Windows) or the .zip folder (Mac) to install the appropriate version of the recorder for your system.
- Run the installer as prompted
Creating a Recording
To create a recording, launch the Relay app ("TechSmith Relay")
If you have a "Relay profile," log in using your campus username and password. If you do not, please request that a profile be created for you. This profile will be set up to send your content to Kaltura.
- Once you have logged in, verify that the cloud icon in the upper right of the window is accompanied by a green check mark.
- Provide a title (required) and description (optional) for your video. Note: You will have another opportunity to provide this information if you forget to do so now.
- Check the Audio and Camera (if available)
- When ready, press the red "rec" (Record) button--if you have an option of displays and have not already selected one, you will be given a choice of which display to record.
- You will be given a three second count down. You may minimize the recording timer.
- Conduct your lecture. Note: Anything displayed on the COMPUTER will be recorded.
- When finished recording, you can restore the recording window (if minimized) and click the stop button.
- Wait for the video to "finalize" and preview it if desired. At this point you have the option to alter the title and description if desired and create trims of the video. Tip: To trim off the start or end of your video: click "Trimming", place the video at the place you would like it to start and click the left "set presentation start" button, then place the video at the place you would like it to end and click the right "set presentation end" button.
- When finished, click Submit.
- You will get a "Connecting to Server" message.
- You will get a "Your presentation was successfully submitted and is being processed" message. IMPORTANT: Do not close Relay or log out UNTIL you see this message and have clicked OK. Note: This message looks more like a warning, but is a good thing.
- Close Relay and log out or begin the process again to create another recording.
Adding Recordings to a D2L Course
Once Relay has successfully published your videos to Kaltura, you can add them to your course as you can any other Kaltura content. Here are some options for adding Kaltura content to D2L.