Home Use - Install Office 2016 on a Macintosh Computer
Follow these steps to install Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Lync to your personal Mac.
Notes: The install is two parts: Office 2016 is one install; Skype is a separate install.
- Install Office 2016 installed (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook). You don't have to install the Office 2016 again if you already have it on your computer (in that case skip steps five to fifteen. If you do install, during the install process you will have the ability to select which of the apps to install; many students choose NOT to install Outlook because they use the web version called Outlook Web Access - OWA.
- Install Lync Only: Follow the documentation for downloading and installing Lync and the Lync update.
Installing Office 2016 and Skype:
1. Sign into Office 365 using the portal: https://portal.microsoftonline.com Be sure to use your full email address. Password is unnecessary at this step.2. Key in your password and continue the UWGB sign in process to Office 365.
3. You will find yourself at the welcome page for Office 365. Click on the gear in the upper right corner and choose Office 365 Settings
4. Make sure you are in the settings page. Then click on the software link
Microsoft Office 2016 download:
5. Download activity can be watched in the upper right corner of the Safari window. The Office 2016 will take the most time to download, and all of the downloads time will range based on your connection speed.
6. When the downloads have completed, navigate to your downloads folder. To install Office 2016 open the "Microsoft_Office_2016.dmg" file. The file will open to the installer window.
7. Follow the on screen instructions to install Office 2016, and enter your Mac's local password when prompted during the install. (Note: If you wish to skip the Outlook 2016 application in the install click "Customize" on the third installer window):
8. When the installation has completed, open Word, PowePoint, or Excel, this will allow you to register the software.
9. Follow the onscreen directions to activate your copy of Office 2016. You will use your UW Green Bay email account and password to sign in. (The red boxes point out where to click on the screen)
10. Office will then ask to hand off access to your Mac's local contacts to the Microsoft Set Up Assistant. If you wish to do so select "OK", however we recommend selecting "Don't Allow".
11. Click "Done" and launch Word, PowerPoint, or Excel
12. In Word, PowerPoint, or Excel navigate to "Help" from the Menu Bar. Once there select "Check for Updates".
13. If Office 2016 finds any updates install them.
14. To install Lync navigate to your "Downloads" folder again, and open the "Lync_Mac_2011_ALL.dmg" file.
15. Install Lync 2011 using the onscreen just like Office 2016 was installed earlier in this document.
18. After the Lync initial install is done navigate back to the "Downloads" folder on your Mac. When there open the Lync 14.0.8 update DMG, and run the install just as all the other installs using the onscreen prompts.
Setting Up Lync 2011:
If you are opening Lync for the first time, you will need to sign in. Be certain to use your entire email address with @uwgb.edu:
An example of searching for a user to IM:
An example of a video call:
More information and training for 'Lync for Mac' can be found at this UWGB Knowledgebase article featuring Lync for PC & Mac:
[Link for document 39836 is unavailable at this time.]