Topics Map > Instructional Technology > D2L
Creating a Custom Widget in D2L and Adding It to Your Coursepage (with special reference to Twitter)
Users may also want to consult the article: Adding a Widget to the Homepage of your Course in D2L.
This document describes how to create a customized widget in D2L and add it to the homepage. There is special reference made to creating a customized Twitter widget.
1. Select "Edit Course" in the navigation bar.
2. Click on Widgets
3. Press "create widget"
4. Give your widget a descriptive name
5. Do Not type the content of the widget in the box below the name. Rather type the content of the widget under the tab called "content."
6. If the widget consists of text, type the text in the text box. If, however, you would like to create a widget from an embed code - such as a Twitter widget - click on the open HTML source editor in the lower right hand corner.
7. After the editor window pops up, open a new tab in you internet browser and go to the place where you will get the embed code. In this example we are using Twitter. (https://twitter.com/settings/widgets)
8. Once the widget creator in Twitter is open, press "create new"
9. Enter the Twitter account or hashtag you would like to follow. In this case we are using @nprnews. Then press "create widget" to generate the embed code.
10. Copy the embed code so that you can paste it back in your D2L course. Press "save changes."
11. Toggle back to your D2L course where the html source editor should still be open.
Then, paste the embed code in the html editor and press "save."
12. Press "save and close" again and the widget is now ready for you to add to your homepage.
To learn how to add the widget to your homepage, consult: Adding a Widget to the Homepage of your Course in D2L