Topics Map > UWGB Help Desk
Topics Map > Library
Topics Map > Instructional Technology
OneDrive-UWGB Best Practices
CIT lists Best Practices for using OneDrive-UWGB on campus computers.
Updated August 14, 2014
NOTE: Microsoft continually updates OneDrive for Business; check back often as this document will be updated as needed.
NOTE: Devices running the Windows 8 and 8.1 operating systems have a built-in OneDrive app. This app works only with personal OneDrive accounts (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org); you will not be able to use it to access your OneDrive-UWGB.
- Most common files types can be stored on OneDrive-UWGB. A list of prohibited files types is available here. Also see this document for additional information: https://uknowit.uwgb.edu/page.php?id=45708.
- The online web applications are the best method when collaborating on team projects and\or group assignments for classes. Real-time changes are easily seen in this online environment.
- The recommended browser is Internet Explorer, Version 11. Firefox also works well in Windows and is the preferred browser for Macintosh users.
- Chrome (browser) has limitations and is not recommended for OneDrive-UWGB.
- The OneDrive feature called ‘SYNCING’ is currently blocked on campus because of security risks and the design of our network.
- When sharing documents, it is best when the original owner of a document does the sharing. (for example: Incorrect sharing would be for Kaitlyn to share her file called “team.doc” with Ashley and then have Ashley share the document with Philip. Correct sharing would be for Kaitlyn to share the file with both Ashley and Philip.)
- It is best to create a project folder (for current and future files pertaining to a project) and then share the folder. This is a better practice than sharing on a file by file basis.
- Collaborating\Tracking changes: Much like Google Docs, it’s advisable to have team members type in a specific font color to trace edits until you are ready to finalize. (then Select all – change to black.)
- When simultaneously collaborating, review your work before closing. (?)
- Phones are best used for viewing only.
- There are no collaboration tools when viewing OneDrive-UWGB files with the Mobile Apps.
- Use "Alerts" if you want to determine when a document is changed. (log into the portal to set Alerts).
- Do not set up a personal OneDrive using your uwgb.edu account. (It's advised to create a Microsoft Live account; for example, email@example.com)
- Android tablets presently do not support the OneDrive for Business.
- OneNote has a web app but collaboration is very difficult using this; best practice is to use the full, desktop version of OneNote.