Using ePortfolio in D2L
This document describes the basics of ePortfolio in D2L.
The ePortfolio tool is where students may store, organize, reflect on and share materials that represent their learning. Artifacts may include documents, graphics, audio files, videos, presentations, course work, etc. which demonstrate improvement or mastery in a certain area. Students can decide what items to include in their portfolio; how they want to organize it; and with whom they want to share it. When you share items with your peers, mentors, potential employers, etc. students may extend various permissions along with their portfolio materials. Depending on what type of feedback students want, they may allow others to: edit items, add comments, view old assessments or add new assessments.
1. Log in to D2L.2. Click on the Adult Degree ePortfolio link to enter the ePortfolio course.
3. Click on the ePortfolio link in the navigation bar to access your ePortfolio.
What are Artifacts? - Artifacts are files, forms, or course results (dropbox feedback, quiz results, grades, or competency progress) that you add to your ePortfolio. You can reflect on artifacts, share them with others, organize them into collections, and display them in presentations.
can record your finished work,
like a finished essay or a test result, or your work
in progress, like an initial
sketch for a painting
or a rough draft of any essay.
You can add a rough draft of a story as an artifact, share it with
your peers to get comments, add a
reflection to discuss what
you learned from the comments
what you hope to achieve
in your next draft, and then
add the revised story
as a second artifact to capture the
1. Click on ePortfolio in the navigation bar.
2. To upload new files within D2L, click on the Add Files button and select the file you’d like.
3. You can add the file just as you would attach a file to an email. The add files button will open an button that says “upload.”
upload, you will see a box where you may select the file you wish to add to
your eportfolio. Press “open” and the file will upload to your eportfolio.
5. To move files from another location to your ePortfolio, click on My Items and press the blue “Add” button.
6. This will open up a dropdown menu which will allow you to: make a reflection, add an internet link, upload a file, create web document, make an audio recording, do a form response, or add course results.
7. Once you have your Artifact, click the Next button.
8. Enter name and optional description.9. Click on the Save and then the Close button.
Creating and Adding Artifacts to Collections
1. Click the New Collection button on the eportfolio homepage.
2.. Give your collection a name; add a description; a press save and close.3. To add an artifact to a collection, click on the drop-down arrow for one of the collections. Then click on Edit.
4. Towards the bottom of the page, click the Add to Collection button.
5. Click the Artifacts, Presentations, or Reflections link.6. Click in the check box next to an item(s) that you want to add to the collection
7. Click the Add button
8. Click the Save button for that collection.
The Presentation is your ePortfolio. The presentation is what you choose to share others.
1. Click on ePortfolio in the Navbar and click on the New Presentations link on the right side of the page.
2. Give the Presentation a name and press Save.
3. Click on the drop-down arrow next to the presentation icon for Adult Degree Program and then click Edit to edit the Adult Degree Program presentation.
4. Click on the Content/Layout tab to see an Introduction page and the five Program Learning Outcomes, and to add components to the introduction and learning outcome pages. The components consist of the artifacts that you collected throughout your schooling.
5. Click on the introduction page or on the learning outcome pages to add the components. Click on the Add Component button, for the Introduction page then click on Text Area to add an introduction of yourself. For the Program Learning Outcomes click on Add Component then click on Artifact, reflection, or learning objective from a collection.
6. Click on the competency that you are currently working on.
7. Select all the artifacts that you collected for the competency.
8. Click on the Add button.
9. To view your presentation, click on the View Presentation link above the Properties, Content/Layout, Banner, and Theme tabs.
10. Click on the Banner tab, delete Adult Degree Programs and type in your name or the title of your ePortfolio.11. Click the Save button.
To change the theme for your
presentation, click on the Theme tab.
13. Click the Select button for a theme that you like, and then click on the Set Theme button.
Sharing an ePortfolio
1. Click on the ePortfolio link on the Navbar.
2. Click on the My Items tab.
3. Click on the drop-down arrow next to the presentation icon for Adult Degree Program and then click Share.
4. Place a check in the box for Anyone with the URL below can access this item. Highlight and copy the URL so that you can paste it an email and send it to someone.
5. Click the Close button.
email and paste the
link in your email and
then send the email to your instructor so that your
instructor can view your ePortfolio.