Federal Tax Return Fraud Information

Contains information related to Federal Tax Return Fraud Information

Below are a set of recommendations if you are a victim of a fraudulent federal tax return:

  1. Call the IRS. Contact the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-1040, or IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490

  2. Report the fraud by completing the IRS ID Theft Affidavit Form 14039 http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f14039.pdf

  3. Complete the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Identity Theft Affidavit http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0277-create-identity-theft-report

  4. Complete a report about the theft by visiting your local law enforcement office. You will need to provide:
    1. a copy of your FTC Identity Theft Affidavit
    2. a government-issued ID with a photo
    3. proof of your address (rental agreement, pay stub or utilities bill)
    4. FTC's Memo to Law Enforcement http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/articles/pdf/pdf-0088-ftc-memo-law-enforcement.pdf

  5. Put a fraud alert on your credit reports and order a copy of your credit report:
    1. Equifax http://www.equifax.com/
    2. Experian http://www.experian.com/
    3. Transunion http://www.transunion.com

  6. Update your records:
    1. Record the dates you made all calls or sent letters.
    2. Keep copies of all documents in your files.
    3. Keep a record of your police report number.

  7. Check the anti-virus and/or anti-malware software on your computer to make sure it is up to date.  Run a full scan of your computer for any viruses or malware. 

Keywords:tax return fraud info security   Doc ID:50256
Owner:Student G.Group:UW Green Bay
Created:2015-04-09 13:22 CSTUpdated:2019-01-09 12:56 CST
Sites:UW Green Bay
Feedback:  1   0