Federal Tax Return Fraud Information
Contains information related to Federal Tax Return Fraud Information
Below are a set of recommendations if you are a victim of a fraudulent federal tax return:
- Call the IRS. Contact the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-1040, or IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490
- Report the fraud by completing the IRS ID Theft Affidavit Form 14039 http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f14039.pdf
- Complete the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Identity Theft Affidavit http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0277-create-identity-theft-report
- Complete a report about the theft by visiting your local law enforcement office. You will need to provide:
- a copy of your FTC Identity Theft Affidavit
- a government-issued ID with a photo
- proof of your address (rental agreement, pay stub or utilities bill)
- FTC's Memo to Law Enforcement http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/articles/pdf/pdf-0088-ftc-memo-law-enforcement.pdf
- Put a fraud alert on your credit reports and order a copy of your credit report:
- Update your records:
- Record the dates you made all calls or sent letters.
- Keep copies of all documents in your files.
- Keep a record of your police report number.
- Check the anti-virus and/or anti-malware software on your computer to make sure it is up to date. Run a full scan of your computer for any viruses or malware.