Remove the Endnote Separator Line in Microsoft Word
Follow these steps to remove the Endnote separator line in Word.
- Below is an example of an endnote separator line. (Below the words "Human Resources") *Note the endnotes are in green.
- Select the View tab. From the Views group, select Draft.
- To display the Endnote options, select the Reference tab, and then "Show Notes" from the Footnotes group.
- From the Endnotes drop-down box, select "Endnote Separator". Select the separator line and press your delete key.
- Switch back to Page Layout view and note that the separator line has been deleted.
Notes from another user: (Mark)
In Chicago Manual of Style, some students are required to have the Bibliography after the Endnotes section. Unfortunately, MS Word gives students more Endnote separator lines through the Bibliography pages (at the top of those pages), even after the first Endnote Separator Line is deleted per the instructions above.
It turns out that the extra lines that continue into the Bibliography pages that follow the Endnotes section - can also be deleted using the above process - just press the Endnotes drop-down arrow again a second time, and select Endnote Continuation Separator (and delete it in the same way as the prior line per above directions).