Topics Map > UWGB Help Desk
Topics Map > Instructional Technology
Bonus Grade Items
A bonus grade item can be in it's own category, or applied to the whole gradebook.
Desire2Learn allows instructors to create bonus grade items within the Grade tool.
A bonus grade item can only improve a student's grade, and cannot count against them.
Bonus items in categories in a Points Gradebook
- Even if you have a points gradebook, it is still good practice to have a gradebook separated into categories
- If you'd like the bonus item to only apply to one category make sure the the grading section for the category has the Can Exceed box unchecked. This will allow a max grade of 100% for the specific category.
- If you would like the bonus item to apply to an entire gradebook, make sure the the Can Exceed box is checked. This will allow the points to exceed the maximum points for a category.
Creating a bonus item
- When you create a grade item, assign the number of points you want the bonus item to be worth, and make sure the bonus box is checked as well.
- When you're finished click save, and it will appear in your gradebook with a star next to the bonus grade item:
Bonus Items in Categories in a Weighted Gradebook
- When creating a bonus item in your gradebook, and you use a weighted grading system, you must have your gradebook separated into categories
- If you would like to have the bonus item only apply to a single category, make sure that when you're setting up the category that this option: Allow category grade to exceed category weight box is unchecked. This will allow a maximum grade of 100% for only this category.
- If you would like the bonus item to apply to the entire gradebook make sure that when you are creating the category, this option is checked:
Creating the Bonus Grade Item
- Assign the maximum points you'd like your bonus item to be worth.
- In the Weight text box, type the weight of the bonus item as a percentage of the parent category (the category it is created within).
- Make sure that the box for Bonus is checked.
- Click Save, and then it will look like this in your gradebook: