Topics Map > IT Help Desk Services
Topics Map > Instructional Resources
How to Claim a UWGB Domain
This document will go through the steps for how to claim a domain via UWGB.org. You have probably landed on this page because you are in one of the classes that is utilizing UWGB Domains this semester, but even if you're not in one of those classes, you can sign up here for your own domain and use these resources to help you build your own sites.
Choosing a Domain Name:
Choosing your domain name is the first step in getting started on with UWGB Domains. Your domain name is really just a unique Web address that can be used to build out your own digital presence. As you make your choice, there are a few considerations to keep in mind:
- Choose a domain that you can live with; you will not be able to register another domain later
- You may wish to include your name in your domain because its a way for you to build your own digital presence.
- Don't use a course title as your domain--You can create a subdomain or a series of pages specific to the course.
The Sign-Up ProcessOnce you've thought about what you'd like for your domain name go to https://www.uwgb.org
Choose to "I'm here to claim a domain"
If you choose the free subdomain you may choose the first part of the subdomain name:
- Example: katefarley.uwgb.org is a subdomain name
- Example: katefarley.org is a domain that I registered on my own, and am paying to own the domain name for $15/year
This form auto-fills with your UWGB username, and the University's contact information.
Leave the radial button as "Invoice Only," and click "Order Now."
- If you decide to use WordPress as your content management system, you can use these instructions to install the application using the "Installatron"
- If you decide to use another content management system, and you've never used the Installatron, please email Kate Farley for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org