Submitting embedded material to Dropbox using the Locker
D2L will not allow a student to submit a file to dropbox without an upload (i.e. embed), but sometimes, materials meant for dropbox work better embedded than uploaded (Examples include YouTube or Kaltura videos and links to project sites or external portfolios). The solution is to create a file using the locker and submitting that file via the dropbox.
Creating the file in your Locker
- Log in to D2L and stay on your homepage (the page that lists all of your current D2L courses). If you are in a course, click on My Home at the top of D2L to return there.
- In the green bar at the top of the page, click Locker
- At the top of the page click New File
- Give your file a name (this is the name that will appear to your instructor when submitted)
- Leave the "Make this file public to others" box UNchecked.
- A Description is NOT required
- Use the rich text editor to create your file. Here you can embed Kaltura videos, use "Insert Stuff" to enter YouTube embed code, create hyperlinks with the hyperlink tool, etc.
- When finished click Create.
- Your file will show up in your locker
Submitting the file to the D2L Dropbox
- Navigate to the course and the dropbox to which you need to submit the file
- Under the dropbox click "Add a File" as you normally would
- On the left hand side of the pop-up window click "My Locker"
- Check the box next to the file(s) you need to upload
- Click Add
- Add comments if needed and click Submit as normal