Turning Integration for Instructors
If you choose to use the Turning Classroom Response System (CRS) in your course, you are able to integrate with D2L to download class lists and submit student scores.
First Steps (Checklist)
- Request "TurningPoint License" along with textbooks for your course.
- Include a section in your syllabus informing students that there is a classroom response system (CRS) component to the course. Students will need to purchase a semester license code from the bookstore if they have not already done so for another course this semester.
- Add the integration link to your course (see below).
- Remind students that they must purchase a license and complete the steps to register their accounts in D2L or Canvas
Adding Turning Point to your Course (Instructor)
- Log into Canvas
- Navigate to Home or Modules
- Create a Module or use an existing one
- Click the + button to create an item
- Select External Tool from the dropdown
- Select TurningPoint from the list of available tools
- Be sure to scroll down within the window to check the box next to Load in a new tab
- Click Add Item
- Remember to Publish the link
- Click the link and sign in with your instructor account
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Connect on the tile with the course you’d like to use (all of your Canvas courses will appear here).
- Open Turning Point (desktop app) and verify that your course appears there. You can now easily sync the class list and session information between Turning Point and Canvas. This will work with Turning Point Cloud (light blue cloud icon) as well as Turning Point 8 (blue hexagon icon).
- Log into D2L
- Navigate to Content
- Click Add Existing Activities and select External Learning Tools
- Select Turning Cloud (be sure not to select TurnIt In by mistake)
- D2L does not sync the way that Canvas does, you will need to download the class list manually and re-download it when there are changes. Open TurningPoint (desktop application).
- Sign in
- Go to the Manage tab
- Click Course and choose New
- Choose Download from LMS and click Create Course
- Under Integration, click Brightspace. Enter “uwgb.turningtechnologies.com” (without quotes) under Sever Address
- Click Connect
- Under the “Important Service Notice” on the internal login page that is displayed, click the “UW-Green Bay login page” link.
- Log into D2L as normal
- Select your course(s) from the Import Course list and click Import
- TO UPDATE YOUR COURSE LATER: navigate to Manage, select the course from the list on the left, click Update, and repeat steps 10-13 above.
Turning Technologies provides further support for TurningPoint. You may wish to further review one of the sites below:
Note: You will not see any mention of "D2L" in the support materials from Turning. Instead, they refer to the platform as "Brightspace." These are the same. Follow the instructions for Brightspace integration.
Note: UWGB uses TurningPoint but does not use physical clicker devices & receivers.
Students receive this document when they purchase their Turning account license from the bookstore. On their version, the green area at the bottom includes their license code.
Please feel free to download or link to this version from within D2L.