Topics Map > UWGB Help Desk
Topics Map > Library
Topics Map > Instructional Technology
Using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra (Instructor)
This document will cover best practices for using blackboard ultra, and how to start a meeting.
Use Google Chrome (recommended); download it here if you don't have it: https://www.google.com/chrome/
- Troubleshooting information for Google Chrome
- Frequently asked Participant Questions (things you may want to anticipate before presenting)
- NOTE: Guests/Participants are automatically "muted"
Before your session:
- Make sure you are either a moderator or presenter if you need to share content
- Look over the Blackboard Ultra Best Practices
- Go through the Blackboard Ultra "Get Started" documentation
- Know the tools, and icons
- Know your way around Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
Steps to join a meeting as a presenter:
- Click on Blackboard Ultra in the D2L Navigation Bar.
- Click on the name of the session you wish to attend
- If you are presenting, click the microphone icon to share audio:
- Then, allow flash to access your microphone (click the button next to Allow), and then check the box next to "remember"
- To allow access to your webcam, select the video camera icon:
- Then, a preview of your webcam will appear. Approve the "sharing" of your video content--click "Share Video":
- You'll also be able to upload your presentation so that your attendees can follow along with you. Click on the Collaborate Panel (purple tab on the bottom right of the screen. Looks like this:
- This gives you more options, like these:
- The third icon (rectangle with arrow pointing to the right) gives you even more options to share content, like a whiteboard, or a presentation that you would like to upload, via the Share Files option.
- Once you click "Share Files," browse, or drag your PowerPoint into the upload area:
- Click "Share Now"
Set a student as a presenter:
- Join the session using the steps above.
- View the participants list
- Next to the student's name (the one you want to make the presenter) choose the options button:
- From this menu, you can make a student/participant a presenter so that they have access to the "Share Content" options:
Be prepared to send your students an email with the guest link, so they can send an email to their attendees.
- To get a guest link, click Blackboard Ultra in the D2L Navigation bar >> Choose the appropriate session (The one with your name as the title) >> Then click the Session Options button:
- Click >> Edit Settings
- Copy the guest link, and keep the box ticked for "Guest Access":
Directions for Attendees:
- Click the link in the email to join the guest session
- Enter a name
- Click the purple tab on the bottom, right-hand side of the screen, it opens the chat window:
- The default, is to chat with everyone. Place cursor where it says "Say Something," type your question, and hit Return/Enter on the keyboard.
- Recommended: Do not encourage guests to use Audio/Video as it will take time away from the presentation for troubleshooting.
- If guests are using hospital WIFI, we will not be able to troubleshoot with those IT departments in a timely fashion, so using the chat function for questions will be the compromise.