Adding Site to Java Exception List
This document explains how to add the Remote Desktop/Remote Lab website to the safe sites in the Java Control Panel for both Windows 10 and Macintosh.
Step 1: Open the control panel and find the Java Icon.
Step 2: Double Click the Java Icon to open up the Java Control Panel.
Step 3: Go to the Security tab and find the Exception Site List.
1) Download Java from www.java.com.
2) Double click the jre-8u144-macosx-x64.dmg file that was downloaded. It's usually located in Downloads or Documents folder in Finder.
3) A window will pop up with a box in the middle labeled Java. Double click on the box to install Java.
4) Open Safari (only Safari will work with remote desktop/lab).
5) Go to https://remote.uwgb.edu (do not log in yet!)
6) Before logging in, click on the Safari menu and select Preferences.
7) Click on the Websites tab.
8) Check the box next to Java. With Java highlighted on the left, you should see "remote.uwgb.edu" in the right pane if you currently have it open as a page in Safari (step 5). Change the option for remote.uwgb.edu to on.
10) Log in to remote desktop with your campus username and password.
11) If using a student account, click on General Remote Lab link (faculty/staff accounts skip this step).
12) You will be brought to a mostly white webpage. Java window should pop up within 10 seconds if everything is set correctly. Click Run if it asks.
13) You should now be connected to a Windows computer.