Creating Modules and Organizing Content
This document outlines how to create and move modules and re-arrange content items within those modules.
Adding a Module
To add a module, go to the Content section. At the bottom of the modules list on the left-hand side, type the name of the new module in the box that reads "Add a module..." and type Enter when done.
Re-Naming or Deleting a Module
To re-name or delete a module, go to the Content section. Click on the module you would like to edit or delete in the menu on the left-hand side. You will then see the module title as the heading at the top of the page with a drop-down icon next to it. Click this drop-down and select either "Edit Title" or "Delete Module" as appropriate. When deleting a module, be sure to carefully read the option regarding removing content. Your choices are to:
- Remove the module and all nested modules and topics from Content but keep all associated files and activities in the course.
This option keeps the course files in Manage Files but they will not appear in the Content section itself. If re-using these materials, you can add them from Manage Files rather than re-uploading them (which creates duplicate files).
- Permanently delete and remove all nested modules, topics, and all associated files and activities from the course.
This does exactly what it says and cannot be un-done!
Moving a Module or Content Item
To move a module or a content item, navigate to Content and hover over the handle icon (three stacked horizontal lines) next to the title within the menu on the left-hand side for a module--you may need to expand the menu depending on how your modules are "nested"--or next to the specified content item within the list on the right-hand side. When hovering, you should see your cursor change into two intersecting arrows. Click and drag to move the module or content item. When moving, D2L represents where you are moving the item in the following ways:
- A grey bar with dots on either side
This moves the item to a location BETWEEN two other items (at the location of the grey bar)
- Highlighting a module in orange
This moves the module to WITHIN the highlighted module. NOTE: To move an item into a sub-module, you must first drop it in the 'parent' module, then open the parent module, and drag and drop once more into the sub-module.
Re-Naming a Content Item
To re-name a content item, navigate to it and view it in the content viewer. While viewing it, click on the heading (the name). This will give you an opportunity to type a new name and press the Enter key to set the change.
Alternative: Within content, navigate to the module containing the content item. Within the list of items, click the drop down next to the item and choose "Edit Properties In-Place." You can then click on the title which will give you an opportunity to type a new name and press the Enter key to set the change.
Hiding a Content Item (From Students)
- To hide a content item from students (set it to "Draft" mode):
- Within content, navigate to the module containing the content item.
- Within the list of items, click the drop down next to the item and choose "Edit Properties In-Place."
- On the right-hand side, click where it says "Published" and change this to "Draft." Do the reverse to again make the item visible to students.
You can also add date restrictions in this area by clicking "Add dates and restrictions" but NOTE: Setting an item to "Draft" mode will hide it regardless of date restrictions; even if your date restrictions say the item should be available, it will still be hidden if in draft mode.
QUICK TIP: To quickly set a number of items to draft mode (or set date restrictions), navigate to the module containing the content items and click Bulk Edit at the top. This will expand each of the items' "Edit Properties In-Place" menu.
Swapping a Content Item (e.g. Syllabus for New Semester)
To swap out an existing content item for an existing updated version (either from your computer or from Manage Files):
- Navigate to Content and find the content item you would like to replace.
- Click the dropdown next to the content item's name and choose Change File.
- Use "Choose Existing" to select from files in Manage Files or (more commonly) click Upload to select a file from your computer.
- Once you've selected the new file, remember to click Update.