Topics Map > UWGB Help Desk
Topics Map > Instructional Technology
Create groups & assign to a group restricted topic
1. Click on Edit Course
This document will go over the steps for how to create groups, and how to ensure students have access to the specific group restricted topics. It will be particularly helpful when copying a course over from one semester to the next.
2. Click on Groups
3. Add a new category
4. Set them up like this:
5. Here's the summary of number of groups and group membership:
6. Now that you have your groups set up you'll want to make sure that the groups we just created are tied to the group restricted topic. If you have the same number of groups from one semester to the next you'll just have to link them up. If you have a different number of groups you have two options.
- First, you could create a new topic with the naming convention mimicking the first topics (recommended).
- Second, you could delete each of the topics, then bulk create new topics.
If you have the same number of groups:
7. Click on Discussions in the nav bar
8. Click on the Group and Sections restrictions tab
9. Choose the Group Category you just created, then choose the forum for which you'd like to view group restricted topics:
10. The restricted column should be ticked for all topics, but not the forum (the top box). The groups should be affiliated in order (it'll look like a diagonal series of checked boxes):
11. When your topics, and groups look like this, click Save. Repeat the process for however many forums are restricted, or at the outset change the forum drop-down list to display "All Forums."
If you have a different number of groups from one semester to the next:
Click on Discussions in the course nav bar
Navigate to the forum that needs another topic added, and use the arrow to the right of the forum title to "Add Topic:"
Assign the topic title so that it reflects the same naming convention:
Repeat steps 7 - 11