Topics Map > IT Help Desk Services > Departmental Support > Phone
General Information for VOIP Phones
This document gives some basic information regarding VIOP/IP phones.
Internal CallsTo place a call from one campus phone to another, dial the desired four-digit extension number listed in the telephone directory.
To place a call from a campus phone to a phone outside of campus, do not press "New Call" or pick up the phone. Start entering the number, starting with the area code (i.e. 920). Press the green "Call" option when the number has been entered. You do not need to enter "8-1-" or "9-1-" prior to the area code.
To call a campus number from an off-campus telephone, dial the prefix "465" plus the desired four-digit extension number (i.e. 465-XXXX).
To call an on-campus student housing number from an off-campus telephone, dial the prefix "883" plus the desired four-digit extension number (i.e. 833-XXXX). The area code is 920.
To obtain campus numbers not listed in the directory, or for dialing assistance, dial "0" for the operator.
- Local or within 920 area code: Dial 8+1+920+555-1212
- Outside 920 area code: Dial 8+1+area code+555-1212
- The cost is $0.95 per call. DO NOT use Operator Assistance to complete your call. This would add a $2 minimum charge.
Transferring a Call
You can transfer a call by pressing the button with the silhouette person and an arrow (the transfer button), then entering the phone number you want to transfer the call to. Then select "Transfer" by pushing the button below the "Transfer" option on the screen.
To forward incoming calls from a campus extension directly to voicemail:
- Dial 72 + 6575 (voicemail extension)
- The system will being to ring as if it were forwarding calls to voicemail.
- Allow the system to answer and then hang up.
To forward incoming calls from a campus extension to another extension on campus:
- Dial 72 + 4-digit extension number (campus extension number you want to send the call to).
- The system will begin to ring as if it were forwarding calls to the assigned extension number for calls to be answered by.
- Allow the person/voicemail at the other end to answer and then hang up.
To forward incoming calls from a campus extension to a local number off campus:
- Dial 72 + 9 (to get an outside line) + 7-digit phone number (number you want to send the call to).
- The system will begin to ring as if it were forwarding calls to the assigned number to be answered.
- Allow the person/voicemail to answer and then hang up.
To deactivate call forwarding:
- Dial 73.
- You will here a beeping sound when deactivation has been completed.
- Hang up.
Leaving a Message
If you cannot reach a faculty member at their phone number you can call the academic program secretary and leave a message. In emergency situations, messages for students may be left at the Public Safety Office (920-465-2300).
Long Distance Calls
Calls in the United States must be placed through the State Telephone System (STS). Calls dialed directly from your office phone will be charged to your department budget.
- To call a long distance number within and outside the 920 dialing area, dial 8 + 1 + area code + 7-digit phone number. You will not hear a dial tone after dialing 8.
- If all STS lines are busy, a fast busy tone will sound. Hang up and try again later.
- DO NOT place toll-free 800 calls on the STS line. Dial 9 + 1 for all 800 calls.
- DO NOT dial local Green Bay area calls on the STS line. Check the Green Bay telephone directory from local toll-free areas.
To place an international call, dial the international access code 8 + 011 + the country code + the city code + the local number.
(Example: To call Sydney, Australia dial: 8 (access to long distance) + 011 (international access code) + 61 (country code) + 2 (city code) + local number.)
Wait at least 45 seconds for the call the start ringing. Check the "International Calling" section of you phone to book for city and country codes.
For operator-assisted international calls, dial 9 + 0 and ask for the ATT international operator.
Do not place personal calls on the STS or toll system. If you are using an office telephone, call collect or have the call billed to your home phone.