Topics Map > Instructional Resources > Canvas
How to Migrate Course from D2L to Canvas
This document explains how to move a course from D2L to Canvas.
To create the zip package.
- If you are using a default navigation bar in D2L and see a button that says "Export This Course" you can skip ahead to step 4. OR If you do not see this button, click instead on "Edit Course" and complete steps 2 and 3.
- Select "Import/Export/Copy Components" from the forest of icons.
- Select "export components" and click "start"
- Select the items you want to export and press "continue."
- Confirm that these are the course items you want and press "continue" again. (This will seem redundant.)
- Press "Finish" once the items you selected have check marks next to them.
- Click the Click here to download the export Zip package link and the file will download to your default download location.
To Import the zip package into Canvas
Click the Choose File button.
Select Question Bank
In the Default Question bank drop-down menu, select the Question bank you want to use for your question bank.
Create Question Bank
If you do not have a question bank you want to use, you can create a new question bank. In the drop-down menu, select the Create new question bank option.
Select Migration Content
To import all content from the course, select the All Content radio button .
If you want to select specific content, click the Select specific content radio button .
Note: If you select the specific content option, you are required to select the content you want to import after you review the remaining page options. After you start importing the content, the import selection cannot be canceled.
Adjust Events and Due Dates
If you want to adjust the due dates associated with the course events and assignments, click the Adjust events and due dates checkbox.
View Current Jobs
The Current Jobs section displays the status of your import. Running reports display a menu bar with the time remaining to complete the import .
If you chose to select specific content in your course, the current job will show as Waiting for Select , which means you must select the content you want to import.
The import may also display other status indicators as part of the import process. Learn more about course import statuses.
View the content from any completed imports by accessing any link in Course Navigation.