Topics Map > UWGB Help Desk > Email
Mailbox migration to Office 365
This document talks about our migration to Office 365 and some of the minor changes that we will notice
While the migration is occurring, you can continue to use your mail as you normally would. The only disruption will occur late on the date your mailbox has fully copied up to Exchange Online. When using Outlook Web Access after the migration is complete, please select the Office 365 link for “Students and Early Adopter Faculty/Staff” instead of the previously used “Faculty/Staff” link.
There are a few changes/issues that surfaced during our internal testing that we would like to make you aware of. Most of these items have simple workarounds, as listed below:
· Outlook – The first time launch will be a bit slow, be patient.
· Free/Busy information – For other campuses viewing our free/busy for calendar scheduling or skype status, this does not function currently. This issue will resolves itself after all users are migrated.
· Visual voicemail (voicemail messages in your inbox) will work, but there will be a delay during the cutover. ALL voicemails will appear after it starts working again.
· iOS-based devices (iPhone, iPad) – Sometimes calendar notifications stop working after the migration. Delete the mail profile and recreate it to correct the issue.
· Android-based devices – some devices work seamlessly while others fail to pull new mail. Delete the mail profile and recreate it to correct the issue.
a. Samsung phones with the built-in mail client likely will have issues, delete the mail profile and recreate it. If the issue persist, please switch to the Outlook App (available in the play store).
b. Very unlikely, but some older Android devices (5+ yrs. old) may not correctly handle the auto-discover change. If the problem exists, the device will be stuck in an authentication loop. The device will get warm and drain the battery quickly. Mail will also fail to pull new messages, delete the profile and recreate it to correct the issue. If recreation fails, then try manually setting the server address to mail.office365.com.
c. Android Smartwatch notifications – May or may not automatically work (we’ve only had one user with this setup so far). Delete the mail profile, recreate, and power cycle the watch.
· Automatic authentication – While using Edge (or IE) on a campus machine, the account you login to the computer with will automatically login to OWA with that same account. If you need to use another account, use Private Mode or Chrome/Firefox in this scenario.
· Focused-inbox is enabled by default. If you wish to disable this feature within Outlook select “View” from the Ribbon and select “Show Focused Inbox” to toggle it off. In OWA this same setting is available under the Gear/Settings (upper-right), then display settings and Focused Inbox. Outlook for Android/iOS have a similar option in their respective settings area. Other mail clients will not have this feature and function like they have in the past.
· If Outlook was open while any of the moves complete, you’ll receive a popup alerting you to the need to close and re-launch Outlook.