Topics Map > IT Help Desk Services > Applications
Topics Map > IT Help Desk Services > Windows OS
Topics Map > IT Help Desk Services > Remote Support
SafeConnect VPN Connection Instructions for Windows
Instructions on how to connect from your personal device to your university assigned workstation (PC only).
Audio Not Playing When I Am Connected to My Campus PC Using SafeConnect (Windows)
Switching out of S Mode in Windows 10
Using All Monitors During Remote Desktop Connection Session
***Use this if you have a personal Windows 10 PC and want to remotely connect to your Windows 10 PC on campus.***
*** If you have a UWGB laptop, this does not apply to you. Please see our VPN User Guide ***
Note: Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft and will not work with SafeConnect VPN.
1A. From a browser, navigate to https://safeconnect.uwgb.edu.
1B. Login with your UWGB Account.
1C. Authenticate with Duo.
2. Select the appropriate version of Global Protect and choose Save File.
3. Navigate to your downloads directory and double-click the GlobalProtect installer to begin installation.
Note: If you see the screen below, consult the following documentation: Switching out of S Mode in Windows 10
4. At the installer Welcome screen, select "Next".
5. Select the default installation location and click "Next."
6. In the confirm installation box select "Next."
7. If you are prompted to allow the app to make changes to your device, select Yes.
8. When the Installation complete box appears, click close.
9. In the “Welcome to GlobalProtect” box in the lower right corner, type safeconnect.uwgb.edu under “Please enter your portal address” (If this box does not appear, search for "global protect" from the search bar and click open).
10. Click "Connect."
11. Sign into the GlobalProtect login box with your UW – Green Bay credentials.
12. You may be prompted to Duo authenticate.
13. When successfully authenticated, you will see a globe icon with a check mark in the icon tray. Alternatively, you can search for global protect in the windows search bar and click it to open. A box should show up in the lower right indicating you are connected.
14. In the Windows search bar, type "Remote Desktop".
15. Locate the Remote Desktop Connection App and click “Open.”
16. If you are prompted to allow the app to make changes to your device, select Yes.
17. In the Remote Desktop Connection box, enter the GB number of your office workstation. Include the letters "GB" and all numbers to follow.
18. If you are prompted that "the identity of the remote computer cannot be verified, do you want to connect anyway?" select yes.
19. Log into your computer.
20. If you get an error message stating that you are not in the Remote Desktop User's group, email or call the IT Help Desk with your GB number and we will add you.
21. When you are finished with your session, sign out of your machine. DO NOT select Shut Down.
22. DO NOT attempt to print from your remote session or the print job will go to your office printer.
23. DO disconnect from the VPN, search for "global protect" in the Cortana search bar and click to open.
24. Click "Disconnect."